TF 8342 BURNHAM NORTON BELLAMY'S LANE
12/66 Church of St. Margaret.
Parish Church. Cll - C12 tower, C13 nave and aisles, C15 details , C15
clerestorey, C13 and C14 chancel. Flint with stone dressings, slate roofs.
West round tower, nave and aisles, north porch, chancel. Tower has west
axial window partly blocked with brick, 4 narrow round headed lancets
above, belfry stage 6 round headed windows with flint block quoins, with
smaller in-filling flint quoin arches and C18 honeycomb brick soundholes.
String course with spout-heads and battlemented parapet. Evidence of
original C12 nave west gable, to north with conglomerate and flint quoins,
later kneeler and coping of C13 nave, itself heightened in C15; to south
line of original gable non flush with next gable of south aisle, with
one 1300 'Y' tracery west window. South aisle has early Decorated south
door, fleurons to abaci, moulded arch with head label stops, 4 south and
one west 3 light Perpendicular windows with stepped, battlemented transoms.
3 south and one east angle buttresses, with set offs, at east stone ashlar
and flint flushwork, with heraldic beast and stepped battlemented middle
set-off. North aisle has c.1300 'Y' tracery west window, 4 north windows
one west window. C15, 3 north and one east buttress, similar detailing
as to south aisle. C15 north porch with porch arch dying into reveals,
2 4-centred north and south 2-light windows infilled with pre-C18 brick,
door arch Decorated with 2 head label stops. Perpendicular clerestorey
heightening with 4 north and south 2-light straight headed Perpendicular
windows. Chancel has 2 south C13 lancets, 2 fine flowing tracery Decorated
2-light north windows, C19 2 light east window suggesting a truncation
of original length. Interior: blocked C12 first floor round arched tower
door, C13 5 bay north arcade, round piers with simple bases and abacus
capitals, double hollow chamfer 2-centred arched. 5 bay south arcade,
3 east bays of C13 2 west of C14. East bays have same details as the
north, except for east respond with stiff-leaf capital, 2 west bays and
west respond have C14 octagonal piers with bases and capitals. Fine
Perpendicular chancel arch, with internal rood stairs with arched entrance,
traces of wall painting. At north door internal rectangular opening perhaps
for communion -wafer oven, 2 to east and west openings for cinquefoil headed
holy water stoups. Fine Norman font, 5 piers with bases, capitals and
carved shafts, rectangular bowl with gadrooned edges, inscribed arches
and diamond patterns. Crude south aisle piscina. Fine Perpendicular
6 light rood screen with inscription to William Groom and date 1458.
Illegible figure painted panels, shafts and arches with tracery, C20
bracketted, vaulted loft. Outstanding painted C15 goblet pulpit with
knob, ribs and coving, tracery, spandrels and cornice, painted panels
with 4 Latin Church Doctors and 2 kneeling donor portraits of Johannes
Goldalle and Ketherina Goldalle his wife. Rectangular early C17 single
decker pulpit, panelled, door with cock's head hinges, contemporary early
C17 wall plate back-board with arches and brackets. Supporting contemporary
hexagonal carved tester, twisted metal bracket attached to wall.
Listing NGR: TF8350142760