Allington Castle

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1239149
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
Allington Castle, Castle Road

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239149.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Apr-2021 at 22:07:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
Allington Castle, Castle Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Maidstone (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 75221 57907

Details

TQ 75 NE 9/168

ALLINGTON CASTLE ROAD (south east side) Allington Castle

30.7.51.

GV I The first castle on the site was a moated mound built by William de Warenne. In the C12 further building took place to the north of this, but this castle was 'overthrown' in 1174, and a small manor house built on the site. Portions of both these constructions were incorporated in the subsequent castle.

The present building was erected by Stephen de Penchester, or Penshurst, between 1279 and 1299 and continued by his son-in-law and successor Sir Henry de Cobham in the early C14. It was altered by Sir Henry Wyatt after 1492. It was forfeited to the Crown in 1554 at Sir Thomas Wyatt's rebellion. It subsequently became two farm houses and eventually fell into ruins, from which is was rescued by Lord Conway who, with his architect W.D Caröe, thoroughly restored the Castle between 1905 and 1929.

It is a square fortified country house consisting of buildings ranged round the inside of the courtyard with a curtain wall connecting them and semi-circular towers facing the moat which connects with the Medway. In the south west corner is Soloman's Tower of four storeys, which is larger than the other towers. In the northwest corner is the Gatehouse with restored machicolation and battlements, and iron-studded medieval double doors, approached by a barbican and stone bridge over the moat. The lower portions of the Gatehouse date from the C12 manor house. The wing which divides the courtyard in half was built by Sir Henry Wyatt and contained a long gallery, which was probably one of the first long galleries in England to be constructed. This was later destroyed but was restored by Lord Conway. Sir Henry Wyatt added the timber-frame buildings in the southeast corner of the Castle which were the kitchen and offices. These are of two storeys and attic, the ground and first floors being of stone with two timbered gables above, rendered and overhanging on bressumers with moulded argeboards and pendants and one gabled dormer. Casement windows with small square leaded panes.

Sir Henry Wyatt also altered most of the windows of the Castle. His son Sir Thomas Wyatt, the poet, was born here in 1503. The latter's son, Sir Thomas Wyatt, also lived here till his insurrection in 1554. Henry VII visited the Castle in Sir Henry Wyatt's time; Henry VIII in 1527, 1530 and 1536; also Cardinal Wolsey in 1527 and Catherine Parr in 1544.

All the listed buildings at Allington Castle form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ7522157907

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
173269
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03932/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Henry Teed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].