HERTFORD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1239252
Date first listed:
05-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
HERTFORD HOUSE, MANCHESTER SQUARE W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of HERTFORD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239252.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 19:21:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
HERTFORD HOUSE, MANCHESTER SQUARE W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28252 81445

Details

TQ 2881 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER MANCHESTER SQUARE, W1 55/14 (north side)

5.2.70 Hertford House

G.V. II

Town mansion, now housing the Wallace Collection. 1776 built for the Duke of Manchester contemporary with his development of the square; much altered c.1872-82 by Sir Richard Wallace with rear extension for his collection. Set back behind forecourt. Red brick with rusticated stucco ground floor and stucco dressings; slate roof. 3 storeys, basement and dormered attics in hipped roof. 7 windows wide, the outer bays added. Central entrance behind large stone Doric columned porte-cochère and entrance lobby, the 1st floor above with added stone tripartite bay window projection with broad segmental pediment. Upper storeys of flanking bays have recessed sashes in stucco architraves, tripartite to outer bays, articulated by giant, fluted, stucco Corinthian pilasters. Stucco dentil cornice below balustraded parapet. Low iron balconies to upper floor windows. Balustraded parapet to area. The gallery additions to rear are of red brick with stone dressings and enclose a courtyard; 2 storeys with blind arcading to lofty 1st floor.

Listing NGR: TQ2825281445

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
417079
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04747/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].