CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1239270
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1239270.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:34:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Burnham Thorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF 85216 41752

Details

TF 84 SE BURNHAM THORPE

7/90 Church of All Saints. 5.6.53.

I

Parish church. C13 arcades, C14 aisles, C15 clerestorey, north porch, chancel, west tower. Rubble, knapped and squared chequer work flint, stone dressings, C19 pin-tiled roofs. West tower, 4 bay nave and aisles, north porch, chancel. 3 stage tower, cut stone quoined angle buttresses to west face, west door, largely C19 recut 4-light Perpendicular west window, 3 belfry 2-light windows with label stops. Battlemented parapet, squared and knapped flint, flushwork tracery and shields, crocketted angle spirelets. North aisle has c.1300 2-light east and west windows, Y-tracery with trefoil heads and central quatrefoil, 3 2-light Decorated north windows under depressed arches, 2 north face and one angle buttresses. North door in east bay. North porch in west bay, Perpendicular. Moulded porch arch, internal north and south relieving arches suggest position of former parvis above. 2-light north and south windows, kneelers with figures 2-light Perpendicular windows, label stop heads. South aisle added 1892- 5, same details as north. Chancel has cut-stone plinth, knapped flint to window height, cut-stone north and south buttresses, 2 buttresses at angles, at south-east with mass dial. 2 fine north and south 3-light Perpendicular windows, south priest's door. Fine flushwork and chequerwork east gable, squared and knapped black flint lower portion white flint above stone ashlar flushwork. 3 light Flowing tracery east window, perhaps C19 replacement of original Perpendicular window. One gable and 2 lower stone ogee niches with bases, vaulted heads, spandrel shields, hood moulds. Interior. 4 bay C13 Early English north and south arcades, round piers with moulded bases and capitals, seat bases, double hollow chamfered arches. Fine Decorated chancel arch, Perpendicular tower arch. 2 bay chancel. Perpendicular sedilia and piscina under single straight hood mould, 4 crocketted canopies with fleurons in spandrels, demi-figure angel corbels. Roofs 1892-5, richly arch-braced and wind-braced. C13 Purbeck marble font with blank arches. North aisle C15 4-centred arch and hood moulded sepulchre or tomb arched recess with earlier slab tomb, some medieval tiles. Chancel monuments; fine floor brass 1420 Sir William Calthorpe, figure in canopied niche. 1803 Rev. Emanuel Nelson, Vicar, by Flaxman; 1841 Anne Everard, 1847 William Everard, by J.G. Lough of London, still in Flaxman style. Admiral Lord Nelson baptised here by his father.

Listing NGR: TF8521641752

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
417110
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05473/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Frank H. P. Wadeson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].