SPLATTS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1240092
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
SPLATTS HOUSE, SPLATTS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPLATTS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240092 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 21:21:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
SPLATTS HOUSE, SPLATTS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Heddington
National Grid Reference:
ST 99102 66725

Details

ST 96 NE HEDDINGTON SPLATTS LANE

5/136 Splatts House



II

House built 1729 for F and P Child, chequered brick with ashlar dressings, slate roof and end stacks. Two storeys and attic, 5- window range. Formal east front with moulded plinth, rusticated quoins, moulded string, coved cornice and parapet with corner urns. Centre porch bay projects with balustrade. Two dormers. Main windows are segment-headed in raised bead-moulded surrounds with keystones. C19 plate glass sashes. String course and cornice broken forward over keystones. Porch bay has similar windows to first floor front and sides, ground floor side doors in segment- headed surrounds and front door in moulded architrave with broad shell hood on scroll brackets. Inner door has architrave and fielded strips each side, possibly indicating a removed hood and therefore that porch bay is added. Four-window rear with coved eaves cornice, the upper floor complete, the first floor with dripcourse but right window removed, the ground floor with door in moulded surround and dripcourse over 2 windows to right, but one removed. To left, a moulded stone plaque FCP 1729 and then 2 superimposed mullion and transom 2-light stair windows. An early C19 rear wing connects to a 2-storey gabled outbuilding with asbestos sheet roof and coped south gable. East side bead-moulded 2-light upper window and ground floor single light. South end wall has moulded plinth, flush quoins and ashlar gable with 6 tiers of dove-openings. West side has recessed cyma-moulded mullion windows, two 2-lights flanking upper door, 3-light with dripstone below. Interior of house mostly altered in C19, some panelled shutters. Outbuilding to rear has full-width circular opening in first floor at north end, purpose unknown. Splatts was the estate of the Child family from the C16 to 1780. Sir Francis Child (1642- 1720) founded Child's Bank, London. (Wiltshire Notes and Queries 11, 1899; R.J. Cole, A short history 4 Heddinton and district n.d.)

Listing NGR: ST9910266725

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
438204
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cole, R J , A Short History of Heddington and District
'Wiltshire Notes and Queries' in Wiltshire Notes and Queries, (1899)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15263/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Hill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].