THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1240128

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1989

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE), ST MARGARET'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240128 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 17:47:12.

Location

Statutory Address: THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE), ST MARGARET'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16609 74904

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/05/2017

22/47/452

ISLEWORTH ST MARGARET'S ROAD (East side) THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE) (Formerly listed as: ISLEWORTH, ST MARGARET'S ROAD, THE KILMOREY MAUSOLEUM (INCLUDING ENCLOSURE WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE)) 06-OCT-89 II* Mausoleum and enclosure wall with railings and gates. 1854 by Henry Kendall junior (1805-88) for Francis Needham, second Earl of Kilmorey (1787-1880); brought to present location in 1868.

Mausoleum of pink and grey granite, with bronze door, roof not visible but part-glazed. Enclosure wall of brick, rendered, with stone coping and piers in the form of pink granite obelisks with incised ornament; cast-iron railings (not complete) and gates. PLAN: The mausoleum, 15 ft square in plan, stands within a walled enclosure, formerly part of the grounds of Gordon House. Octagonal dwarf wall with gateway to east side, in front of door.

EXTERIOR: Egyptian style mausoleum. Battered sides, above plinth, of grey granite; beaded decoration to arrises, door surrounds, cavetto cornice all of pink granite. Panels of lotus flower decoration flank the dooors (blind to three sides, and of granite, functioning to east side and of bronze), which are decorated with stars set within squares. Cornice decorated with winged sun-discs with serpents. Roof part-glazed. Enclosure walls with obelisk-shaped piers, decorated with caducei (snake-entwined rods). Stylised acanthus-enriched cast iron railings partially in situ.

INTERIOR: unusually elaborate mausoleum interior, lined in pink and grey granite. Two lead-lapped coffins lie on a granite shelf running around three sides of the chamber. Opposite the door is a Neoclassical marble relief by Lawrence Macdonald of Rome (1799-1878) depicting a deathbed scene, with an angel pointing heavenwards.

HISTORY: this mausoleum was erected to receive the remains of Priscilla Hoste (1823-1854), mistress of Lord Kilmorey and mother of his son Charles (b.1844). The drawings are signed by Kendall and Pope, architects, of 33 Brunswick Square. Originally erected in Brompton cemetery, the mausoleum was moved first to Woburn Park near Weybridge in c.1862, and thence to its present position in c.1868. A fine example of an Egyptian-style mausoleum, with an unusually good interior, this structure has had a remarkable history of relocation reflecting the affection Lord Kilmorey felt for his mistress, even in death. The mausoleum suffered some damage in the storms of 1987.

SOURCES: A.C.B. Urwin, 'The Second Earl of Kilmorey and his Mausoleum in St Margarets', (Borough of Twickenham Local History Society, paper no. 75, 1997); idem., 'The Story of Gordon, Lacey and St Margaret's Houses' (The Hounslow and District Society, 1974). Original drawings of the mausoleum are in the Public Record Office, ref. WORK 38/146.



Listing NGR: TQ1660974904

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 438180

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Urwin, A C B , The Story of Gordon Lacey and St Margarets Houses, (1974)

End of official listing