CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240271.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:32:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mansfield (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 56785 68801
WARSOP CHURCH ROAD
SK 56 NW
2/149 Church of
St. Peter & St. Paul
Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15, C16. Restored and re-roofed
and organ chamber built, 1878. Coursed and coursed squared
rubble and dressed stone. Gabled and lean-to slate roofs.
Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth, moulded parapets, coped
gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north and south aisles,
chancel, organ chamber, vestry, south porch. West tower, Cll and
C14, 3 stages, has clasping and corner buttresses of different
sizes, some gabled. String course, moulded crenellated parapet,
2 gargoyles, 4 crocketed pinnacles. First stage has to south
additional buttress, 2 setoffs. To west, restored Cll round
headed door with imposts. Above, restored round headed window.
Second stage has to south a round headed window and 2 stair
lights. Above, clock, 1844, to south and east. Third stage has
4 C14 double lancet bell openings with cusped heads. Nave
clerestorey has on each side moulded band and 3 gargoyles. 3
restored late C14 triple lancets with cusped heads, square
reveals and hood moulds. North side has 3 similar double
lancets. North aisle, C14, has chamfered eaves and moulded
parapet. Diagonal buttress to east, corner buttress to west,
intermediate buttress to north, 2 setoffs. North side has to
east, ogee headed triple lancet with square headed reveal. To
west, blocked round headed door flanked by single similar C14
double lancets. Organ chamber has moulded plinth, eaves and sill
band. To east, cusped trefoil headed lancet. To north, a pair
of similar lancets. Chancel has moulded eaves and parapet and on
each side, 2 gargoyles. To east, pair of corner buttresses, 3
setoffs. North side has to east, blocked late C14 window with
four centred arched head and hood mould. East end has sill band
and late C14 6 light lancet with cusped heads, panel tracery and
hood mould. South side has additional off-centre buttress, 2
setoffs. Off-centre blocked C14 priest's door. To its left,
late C14 triple lancet with cusped heads, four centred arch
reveal and hood mould. To its right, truncated C13 triple lancet
with cusped heads, trefoils, hood mould and mask stops. 2 bay
vestry, c.1500, has chamfered and moulded plinth, eaves band,
crenellated parapet and remains of 2 gargoyles. 3 buttresses, 2
setoffs, the central one with incised sundial. Windows are
single lancets with cusped heads, square headed reveals and hood
moulds, one with mask stops. East end has a single lancet and
above, ogee headed niche in parapet. South side has 2 lancets.
West end has door with four centred arched head and hood mould.
South aisle, 3 bays, C13, has sill band and moulded eaves. To
east, 3 corner buttresses plus intermediate buttress, 2 setoffs.
East end has restored C13 triple lancet with cusped trefoil
heads, hood mould and 3 mask stops. South side has 2 double
lancets, 1878. West end has C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee
heads and hood mould. South porch, C13, restored C19, has moulded
eaves. 2 coped gables, one with cross. 2 flanking buttresses.
South doorway double moulded and rebated, with shaft responds
with water holding bases and waterleaf capitals. Interior has
stone benches and scissor braced roof. Restored C13 inner
doorway, cove and roll moulded with hood mould and mask stops.
Single shafts with water holding bases and capitals with nailhead
bands. Nave south arcade, C13, 3 bays, has 2 piers and matching
responds, square with 4 engaged filleted shafts. Water holding
bases and integral round seats. Moulded quatrefoil capitals.
Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. North
arcade, C14, 3 bays. 2 octagonal piers and east respond with
square plinths, water holding bases and octagonal capitals. West
respond has moulded base and capital and keeled shaft. Double
chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Roof, C15 style,
moulded timbers, arch braces on corbels, 2 mask and 2 foliate
bosses. Tower arch, C11, has moulded round head with 2 rows of
large zigzag moulding. Cable moulded round responds, square
imposts and moulded scrolled capitals. Roll moulded flanking
shafts with reel moulding. Baroque style oak screen, 1930.
North aisle has to east, unglazed C14 double lancet, flanked to
right by a C14 moulded bracket. Lean-to roof, 1878. South aisle
has similar roof. East window has stained glass panel, C20.
South side has window with stained glass, 1933. West end has
window with stained glass Arms of Samuel Hallifax, 1781. Chancel
arch, late C14, restored 1878. Double chamfered and rebated
with octagonal responds with crenellated capitals. Chancel north
side has to west, arched opening containing organ in Gothic case,
1892. East end has stained glass by Shrigley and Hunt to Richard
Fitzherbert, 1906. South side has to east, combined sedilia and
piscina, late C14, with 4 ogee headed openings in square headed
opening with hood mould and mask stops. To its right, Cll
priest's door. To west, window with stained glass, 1919.
Restored C15 roof with arch braces on angel corbels, arched tie
beams and 4 carved bosses. Vestry has fragments of C16 stained
glass in all 3 windows. C19 lean-to roof. Fittings include
octagonal font, C19. Traceried pulpit with marble shafts, C19.
Traceried panelled octagonal font, C19, in C14 style. Moulded
late C19 oak benches. Oak reredos in C15 style, 1913. Memorials
include scrolled and draped cartouche to John Roileston, 1684.
Brasses to Henricus Lukin, 1630; to George Fothergill, 1633; to
Oliverus Dand, 1655. 6 brasses to Wylde family, 1694-1801. 5
brasses, C18. 4 brasses, C19. 8 brasses, C20. Marble tablet to
Samuel Hallifax, Bishop of St. Asaph, 1790. Timber and brass war
Listing NGR: SK5678568802
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/18545
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing