CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1240381
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240381.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 16:19:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 09289 52608

Details

NZ 05 SE CONSETT CHURCH BANK

(South side) Benfieldside 5/28 (inset) Church of St. 6/6/51 Cuthbert (Formerly listed as St Cuthbert's Church) GV II

Parish church. 1849-50 by John Dobson; addition of south aisle, choir vestry and organ 1881-6 by J.W. Walton Wilson; site and £450 given by Thomas Wilson of Shotley Hall, remainder by public subscription. Coursed squared sandstone with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; roofs of graduated thick purple slate and Welsh slate, with stone gable copings. Aligned north-south. Aisled nave with ritual north-west porch tower and south-west choir vestry; chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber. Early English style. Tower has drip-string over boarded double doors with elaborate hinges in double-shafted, many-moulded 2-centred arch; slit window and clock above; set-back belfry with high 2-light openings; full-height clasping buttresses with offsets; broach spire on nail- head corbel table has lucarnes and wrought-iron finial. Lancet windows, paired in north aisle under corbel table, triple in east and paired in west fronts, with vesica over central west buttress; large vesica also in south-west vestry; buttresses, 4 on east front; north vestry has projecting stack with offsets and round chimney. Steeply-pitched roof with gable copings on roll-moulded kneelers. Boot-scrapers flank tower door. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced nave roof on alternate corbels and shafted corbels; scissor-truss chancel roof on corbelled wall-posts. 4-bay arcades have double-chamfered arches on round piers with octagonal plinths and capitals; continuous drip moulds. Many-moulded chancel arch on half-octagonal pilasters and corbelled Frosterley marbel shafts, with capitals recording dates of building and enlargement; head-stopped dripmould over. 2-bay chancel arcade has carved brackets and corbels. West bay has high lancet to choir vestry, and balconied doorway to first tower floor. Glass in south aisle signed by Percy and Bacon bros., ll, Newman Street, London; one medallioned window in memory of Thomas Siddell, veterinary surgeon died 1855 in the Crimean War. Tiled chancel floor, flagged nave floor. Brass foundation plaque dated 1849 names John Dobson architect. Roll-moulded square- ended pews with Roman numerals.



Listing NGR: NZ0928952608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
438635
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02850/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].