SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BEESTON CAST IRON LOCK AT SJ 553 598

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1240680
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1991
Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BEESTON CAST IRON LOCK AT SJ 553 598

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1240680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 23:41:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BEESTON CAST IRON LOCK AT SJ 553 598

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tiverton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 55395 59892

Details

SJ 55 NE 1016-3/100

TIVERTON, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL Beeston Cast Iron Lock at SJ 553 598

II*

Lock. 1828, by Telford. Chamber and wing walls lined with cast iron plates. Pair of wooden bottom gates with gate paddle gearing. Pair of steel top gates, with 1 gate paddle mounted on towpath side gate, and 2 ground paddles. All mechanical paddle gearings. Iron footbridge across lock tail. This lock is unique. Scheduled ancient monument, Ches.125.

Listing NGR: SJ5539559892

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
439175
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11416/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].