THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1241144
Date first listed:
27-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, GREAT WEST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:06:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, GREAT WEST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 16325 77422

Details

The following building shall be added:

GREAT WEST ROAD, BRENTFORD TQ 1677 787-/19/10004 The National Westminster Bank GV II

Bank. 1935 by WFC Holden as the Osterley branch of the National Provincial Bank. Brown brick with Portland stone dressings. Flat roof. Single storey. Double-height banking office, bow-fronted to Great West Road, flanked by lower wings, that to left with bow-fronted public entrance on the return. Expressionist style. Bowed facade to road has 3 tall ladder windows with margin glazing separated by columns with brick ribs which continue as moulded features in the stone-coped parapet. Groups of similar full-height ribs form straight angles with blind lower wings, each of which has a rainwater head and drainpipe linking the design to a low stone-coped continuous plinth. On return, bowed entrance with blind wings has central recessed doorway (later C20 doors), flanked by recessed margin glazed ladder windows; approached by bowed and shaped steps. Stone coped parapet and plinth. Blind return of double-height office, with ribbed angles, rises behind. Interior fitted out to late C20 requirements but retains timber panelling to walls and piers. The bank was designed to form a group with Sir Bannister Fletcher's Gillette Factory.

Listing NGR: TQ1632577422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440079
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00026/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Quiller Barrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].