CONQUEST HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1241437
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
CONQUEST HOUSE, 17, PALACE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241437.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:03:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONQUEST HOUSE, 17, PALACE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 14992 58064

Details

1. 944 PALACE STREET (West Side)

No 17 (Conquest House) TR 1458 SE 2/47 3.12.49.

II* GV

2. Outwardly a C16 timber-framed house restored, but the house dates from the early years of the Norman Conquest. 3 storeys timber-framed with plaster infill. Curved braces, Slated roofs. 3 restored mullioned and transomed windows, 1 of them a bay through 2 storeys supported on carved brackets. The ground floor has 2 recessed 3 light mullions and a continuous mullionedmd transomed bay of 8 lights. Right side doorcase has fine moulded spandrels. The interior has a C17 fireplace with plastered mantelpiece and panelling. Norman undercroft and fine Cll galleried hall. In 1170 the 4 knights De Tracy, De Moreville, Fitzurse and Le Breton divested themselves of their arms here before seeking an interview with Becket in his palace, and then rearmed themselves for the murder,

Church of St Alphege and Nos 10 to 28 (cobsec) form a group.

Listing NGR: TR1499058064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440503
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08739/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Diana Forrest. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].