REMAINS OF CASTLE WALLS TO SOUTH AND WEST OF UPSALL CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1241639
Date first listed:
01-May-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CASTLE WALLS TO SOUTH AND WEST OF UPSALL CASTLE, UPSALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF CASTLE WALLS TO SOUTH AND WEST OF UPSALL CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241639.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 11:15:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CASTLE WALLS TO SOUTH AND WEST OF UPSALL CASTLE, UPSALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Upsall
National Grid Reference:
SE 45411 86963

Details

SE 48 NE UPSALL UPSALL ROAD 2/31

1.5.52 Remains of castle walls to south and west of Upsall Castle (formerly listed as remains of castle)

II

Remains of castle walls. Probably C14. Sandstone rubble standing up to 15 ft high. Remains of circular tower on west side, and of south-east corner tower with traces of chamfered elliptical-arched openings. Mason's mark in south wall. Castle probably begun by Geoffrey Scrope who bought the manor from the Upsalls in 1327. Reputedly demolished in the Civil War, and in ruins in 1660 (VCH). VCH, North Riding, II, 1923, p 40.

Listing NGR: SE4541186963

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440269
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08469/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Reid. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].