METHODIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1241764
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHAPEL, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241764 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 11:10:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHAPEL, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alkborough
National Grid Reference:
SE 88201 21670

Details

SE 82 SE ALKBOROUGH FRONT STREET (west side)

Methodist Chapel

1/4 II

Chapel. 1840 on datestone. Grey brick front in Flemish bond with stucco details; yellow brick sides. Slate roof. Classical style. Rectangular plan. Single storey, 2 bays; symmetrical. Angle pilasters rising to shaped kneelers; bays articulated by pilasters with Greek ionic capitals supporting pedimented gable. Entrance in second bay: flight of 3 stone steps with bootscraper to recessed 2-leaf panelled door in round-headed rubbed brick surround. Similar opening to left bay with stone cill and dummy door. 2 round-headed casements above, with projecting cills and later C19 margin lights, coloured glass and projecting cills. Pediment contains central plaques inscribed WESLEYAN CHAPEL, 1840, within a panel defined by a basket- arched stucco band. Stone-coped gable with shaped kneelers. Left return has lower rendered section, 2 round-headed windows similar to front. Rear has 2 sashes with margin lights and 2 round-headed casements above with glazing bars. Interior: internal wooden porch with moulded cornice; sanctuary rail on foliate cast-iron supports; boldly-moulded plaster ceiling cornice and ornate central ceiling rose surrounded by 4 smaller ones, perforated as ventilators.

Listing NGR: SE8820121671

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
440978
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/16983/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].