FALLGATE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1241794

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1995

Statutory Address: FALLGATE MILL, HOCKLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FALLGATE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 19:45:53.

Location

Statutory Address: FALLGATE MILL, HOCKLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Ashover

National Grid Reference: SK 35412 62278

Details

ASHOVER SK3562 HOCKLEY LANE 1264-0/12/58 (West side (off)) Fallgate Mill II Water-powered corn mill. Dated 1781, but with earlier work incorporated within the present structure. Restored 1987-8. Coursed rubble and ashlar gritstone, together with rubble carboniferous limestone, with quoins. Stone slate and pantile roof coverings, the latter with stone slated eaves. Single-storey range to the east, of brick with a stone slated roof. An irregular L-shaped grouping of buildings, the main range running east to west, with an advanced range at right angles to the main range, at the east end. The brick range is also slightly advanced. South elevation has central range of three storeys and three bays, with an off-centre doorway with massive surround and lintel, the latter inscribed 'E T S 1781'. Small single opening above doorway, and to the west a wider opening, both with plain planked doors and deep lintels. To the west, the brick outbuilding with a single central opening with planked shutter, and a small 4-pane light above. Gable to advanced range to east with a blocked ground-floor opening, a glazed first floor taking-in opening, and a small single lancet light to the gable apex. West elevation faces onto wheelpit, and is of coursed rubble. 2 rectangular openings to wall centre, one in the gable apex, the other below it, and a tall narrow opening to the south side. Set into the wheelpit a restored overshot wheel with metal sideplates and timber buckets. A metal pentrough delivers water to the wheel head. The interior and the machinery have been fully restored.

Listing NGR: SK3541262278

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 393467

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing