CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1241881
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, BURDETT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1241881 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 16:03:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, BURDETT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36823 81690

Details

TOWER HAMLETS BURDETT ROAD

TQ 3681 Church of St Paul and 17/1000 attached vicarage.

GV II*

Parish Church, 1958 by Robert Maguire of Maguire and Murray. Purple Uxbridge brick and concrete. Centralised rectangular plan with projecting octagonal NW porch and SE baptistry. Tall cubical windowless nave with large glazed lantern enclosed on all sides by lower windowless aisle walls with folded concrete roof with glazed gables and deep projecting eaves. Internally all walls are carried on concrete piloti, with concrete and brickwork frankly shown. The sanctuary area around the centralised altar is defined by a steel 'corona' suspended from the roof. Cast concrete font.

The vicarage adjoining the church is also of special architectural interest.

Ref Architectural Review, December 1960.

Listing NGR: TQ3682381690

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206486
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Architectural Review' in December, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/12061/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.N.G. Tingey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].