THAMES TUNNEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1242119

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1995

Statutory Address: THAMES TUNNEL, WAPPING HIGH STREET, BRUNEL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THAMES TUNNEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 10:21:04.

Location

Statutory Address: THAMES TUNNEL, WAPPING HIGH STREET, BRUNEL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Southwark (London Borough)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

County: Greater London Authority

District: Tower Hamlets (London Borough)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ3513580028

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The entry was subject to a minor amendment on 25 July 2017.

TQ 3580 636-/5/10086 Thames Tunnel

II*

Underwater tunnel for human traffic. Begun 1825, completed 1843 by engineer Marc Isambard Brunel with assistance from Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Brick bedded in Roman cement and faced with clay tiles and stucco. Approx. 366m (1,200ft) long. Two parallel vaults of horseshoe section, 4.27m (14ft) wide by 4.88m (16ft) high and joined at intervals by cross arches are encased in a rectangular brick framework 11.58m (38ft) wide and 6.7m (22ft) high externally. At the end are access shafts 15.24m (50ft) across. Segmental arches separating the two vaults 'rest' on Greek Doric half-columns with square abaci. Many arches have been filled in. Stucco finish in 'ashlar' on top of red clay tile lining of tunnel. HISTORY. Experimental attempts to construct a tunnel were made in 1805 by Robert Vazie and again in 1808 by Richard Trevithick. The present tunnel was constructed on a new line to a revised scheme by Marc Brunel (1769-1849) using a tunnelling shield designed by him and patented in 1818. The tunnel was opened on 26 May 1843. It remained a foot tunnel until 1865-9 when it was converted for the East London Railway. Later used by electric underground trains (East London Line).

Listing NGR: TQ3513580028

The asset was previously listed twice also under London Borough of Southwark at List entry 1378391. This entry was removed from the List on 25 July 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 441472

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing