CURFEW HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1242226
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
14 AND 16, WINDSOR STREET
Statutory Address:
8 AND 10, WINDSOR STREET
Statutory Address:
CURFEW HOUSE, 12, WINDSOR STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CURFEW HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242226.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 09:13:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
14 AND 16, WINDSOR STREET
Statutory Address:
8 AND 10, WINDSOR STREET
Statutory Address:
CURFEW HOUSE, 12, WINDSOR STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Runnymede (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 04145 67018

Details

1. 966 WINDSOR STREET CHERTSEY (North Side) Nos 8 and 10, No 12 (Curfew House) and Nos 14 and 16 TQ 0467 SW 7/19 26.9.51. II GV II* (No 12)

2. C18, a group of 5 houses, some with alterations. 3 storeys. Red brick. Curfew House, dated 1725 on keystone, being slightly higher, and set back with narrow forecourt and early C19 front railings; and tile roof with brick coped gabled ends. Parapet fronts. 4 chimney stacks. 17 windows (5 to Curfew House, in centre). Centre pedimented feature with arched entrance and arched 1st floor window. Brick pilasters below open pediment, with moulded wood cornice, with dentils. Stone impost blocks and keystones to entrance and 1st floor window and 4 arched ground floor windows. 2nd floor near-flush-frame windows with glazing bars. Ground and 1st floor windows without bars. Tympanum inscribed: " c5 Founded by Sr Wm PERKINS Knt For Fifty Children clothed and taught Go and do likewise " Date 1725 on keystone of arched 1st floor window below. Entrance door has enriched wood architrave, and reeded panels with raised centres. Nos 8 and 10 have refacing with rough flat heads to windows, and rough band below parapet; shop fronts at ground floor, Nos 14 and 16 have band below parapet with cope, and gauged flat arches to sash windows now with glazing bars mainly missing; and wood door cases to early C19 entrance doors. NMR photo.

Nos 2 to 34 (even) including No 6A, form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ0416466974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
361710
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].