ST ETHELBURGA'S WELL AND WALL TO NORTH AND SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1242250
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1975
Statutory Address:
ST ETHELBURGA'S WELL AND WALL TO NORTH AND SOUTH, WELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ETHELBURGA'S WELL AND WALL TO NORTH AND SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242250 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 19:44:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST ETHELBURGA'S WELL AND WALL TO NORTH AND SOUTH, WELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Shepway (District Authority)
Parish:
Lyminge
National Grid Reference:
TR 16168 40912

Details

TR 14 SE LYMINGE WELL ROAD (east side) 4/165 30.7.1975 St Ethelburga's Well and Wall to north and south

II

Well-house and shelter. 1898, with possibly slightly earlier base, built over a spring said to have supplied Lyminge with water from Roman times until 1905. Rectangular two-storey structure, its west side built against an almost vertical slope. Red brick, slightly more textured to lower half. Round-headed archway with impost-level plat band, giving access to spring at base of well-house on north side. Timber-framed shelter with gabled plain tile roof, at road level, housing an iron pump, installed to raise water from spring to road. Wrought iron gate to road. Tie-beam dated 1898. Ragstone retaining wall, rising about one metre above road level, extending north for about 39 metres and south for about 26 metres.

Listing NGR: TR1619240854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441643
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06841/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Malcolm McKen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].