CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1242526
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1242526.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:32:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Willoughby on the Wolds
National Grid Reference:
SK 63385 25418

Details

WILLOUGHBY CHURCH LANE SK 62 NW ON THE WOLDS (west side) 6/145 Church of St. Mary 13.10.66 and All Saints I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, chapel repaired 1781, repaired and enlarged 1829, chancel rebuilt 1891, restored and porch built 1908, chapel restored 1984. Dressed coursed rubble, some ashlar. Lead roofs with coped gables, parapets to nave and chancel. Single ridge crosses to east chancel and porch, single stack to west end of north aisle. Buttressed. Tower with spire, nave, aisles, north chantry chapel, south porch and chancel. C13 tower of dressed coursed rubble with ashlar quoins and of 2 stages. The early C14 broach spire with 2 tiers of 4 lucarnes. Set on a low chamfered plinth. The west side has a single arched window and the south side a single rectangular light with single clock face over. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2 pointed arched lights. The west wall of the north aisle has a single arched restored C14 window with cusped tracery and hood mould. In the north wall is a single arched 2 light early C14 window with Y tracery, to the left is a chamfered arched doorway. Further left is the C13 angle buttressed chapel set on a plinth. In the west wall is a single blind quatrefoil. There is a band which continues to form a sill band on the north side where there are 2 restored C14 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The east wall has a single restored C14 window with 3 cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch, the central light has a singtle transom with single blind trefoil arch under. To the left is the east wall of the aisle which is on a shallow plinth and has a single C15 arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery and hood mould. The C15 clerestorey has 4 arched C15 windows each with 3 cinquefoil arched lights, hood mould and label stops. The north wall of the chancel is set on a shallow plinth in parts and has a single early C14 arched 2 light window with Y tracery and remains of a continuous sill band. The east end has a single C19 arched 5 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel with band extending over the narrow plinth has 2 C19 arched 3 light windows with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south aisle is set on a plinth and has in the east wall a single arched 3 light early C14 window with intersecting tracery. The south wall has 2 arched 2 light early C14 windows with Y tracery. To the left is the gabled 1908 porch set on a plinth. Double chamfered arched entrance, the inner chamfer supported on C19 octagonal responds, with hood mould and label stops, over is a single trefoil arched niche. Each side wall has a single trefoil arched light. Inner double chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and remains of label stops. To the left is a single similar 2 light window. In the west wall is a single arched 3 light C15 window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and humna head label stops. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 4 bay early C13 nave arcades with circular columns, keeled responds, octagonal moulded capitals to all but the 2 east columns of the south arcade, which are circular. The capital of the single central pier on the south side is decorated with crude foliate and the capital of the east respond of this side has some C19 nailhead and remains of crude foliate carving. Double chamfered arches, hood moulds to nave sides with remains of 2 label stops. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer supported on keeled responds with moulded capitals. C19 double chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer supported on octagonal responds. C19 rood screen. 2 bay north aisle/chapel arcade with moulded arches and single central circular moulded column. The east most bays partly occupied by panel witl 2 blind trefoil arches. The west wall of the chapel decorated with 3 bay C13 blind arcading with moulded arches and jambs, no capitals. Over is a single rectangular recess. The north wall has an aumbry and single moulded rectangular niche, with further small recess. The south wall with ogee arched piscina. Flanking the jambs of the east window here is some decorative moulding. Nave with evidence of former roof on west wall. Nave roof C15 with moulded and carved beams and decorative bosses. North aisle with single rectangular niche under the east window. Remains of wall painting to south aisle, south wall, and to the north and east walls of the nave. There is a "C16 oak chest with iron hinges and 2 chairs with C16 carving. OCtagonal ashlar C14 font with blind trefoil arched panels decorating the bowl. Remaining furniture C19. Single William IV hatchment. In the tower are 2 boards with biblical texts and a single board detailing bequests. Between north aisle and north chapel are a few medieval tiles. In the floor of the north aisle is a small oval brass to Collonell Michael Stanhope, 1648, this decorated with a skull and crossbone and hour glass and angel's wings. There is a further floor slab decorated with an incised cross. The north chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas contains several good monuments. There are 2 c.1300 effigies of ladies in wimples, one with head ona pillow, the other with head supported by angels. The effigy of Sir Richard de Willoughby, 1325, of a recumbant cross legged knight with his wife next, both with feet on lions and heads on pillows. That to Sir Richard de Willoughby Judge, 1362, is of a recumbant figure in pleated dress. The sides of the alabaster tomb being decorated with blind shields. The alabaster tomb of his son Sir Richard de Willougby, 1369, is of a recumbant knight with head resting on a visor and feet on a dog. The front of the tomb is decorated with raised decorated shields. The alabaster tomb of Sir Hugh de Willougby and his second wife Margaret Freville, 1448, depicts 2 recumbant figures in prayer, he a knight with feet resting on a lion and head on a visor. She with feet resting on a dog and head on a pillow supported by angels. The tomb decorated at the head end with a representation of the Holy Trinity and at the feet end with the Virgin and Child. The sides are decorated with figures of angels holding shields, set into trefoil arched panels with decorative carved spandrels. His sword, now fragmented, is displayed in a case attached to the north wall. There is an incised floor slab to Isabel Foljmabe, 1417, first wife of Sir Hugh and a much restored-floor slab of a priest, probably Hugh Willougby, Rector of Willoughby 1320-29.

Listing NGR: SK6338625413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
441880
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13396/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].