TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL MIDDLE BRIDGE NUMBER75 AT SJ 9948 2341

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1243215
Date first listed:
10-Feb-1995
Statutory Address:
TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL MIDDLE BRIDGE NUMBER75 AT SJ 9948 2341

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1243215.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2020 at 15:34:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL MIDDLE BRIDGE NUMBER75 AT SJ 9948 2341

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Stafford (District Authority)
Parish:
Colwich
National Grid Reference:
SJ 99516 23441

Details

COLWICH TRENT AND MERSEY SJ 92 SE CANAL 19/10013 Middle Bridge No 75 at SJ 9948 2341 - II

Canal accommodation bridge. Late C18. Brick with stone coping. Single span with towpath and humped back. Segmental headed arch. Swept wings terminating in piers at all 4 corners. Stone plaque at crown on both sides. Stone springing stones. Wooden post with cast iron guard plate at corner of jamb on north towpath side. Pipeline attached to south side through brickwork of abutments. Minor repairs to parts of south side and north side jambs. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ9951623441

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
446844
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01744/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Howard Bagshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].