CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1243811
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CAR COLSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1243811.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:39:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CAR COLSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Rushcliffe (District Authority)
Parish:
Screveton
National Grid Reference:
SK 72880 43414

Details

SCREVETON CAR COLSTON ROAD SK 74 SW (south east side) 4/133 Church of St. Wilfrid 1.12.65

G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15. West tower C15, altered late C16. Chancel restored 1881. Nave restored and vestry built, 1884. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with coped gables, chamfered plinths and eaves. West tower, nave, north aisle, vestry, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 coved string courses, eaves band, crenellated parapet, 4 pinnacles. Pair of diagonal buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. Pair of buttresses to east, engaged with aisles. To west, C16 triple lancet in chamfered square headed reveal with hood mould. Above, slatted segmental headed opening. Above again, each side has a round-headed double lancet with hood mould. North aisle, late C13, restored, 3 bays, has sill band and coped gables with kneelers. West end has a round headed lancet. North side has 4 buttresses, 2 setoffs. To east, 2 triple lancets with intersecting tracery, coved reveals and hood moulds. To west, similar moulded doorway with hood mould and late C19 doors. Vestry has coped gable with kneeler. North side has trefoil headed double lancet with hood mould. East end has a plain lancet. Chancel, C14, restored. 2 bays, has sill band and coped gable with cross. East end has 2 pairs of corner buttresses, and stepped sill band. Triple lancet with intersecting tracery, coved reveal, hood mould and stops. South side has buttress, 2 setoffs, flanked by single C13 style lancets. South aisle, 3 bays, has sill band and coped gables. East end has C19 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and panel tracery. South side has, to east, 2 C19 double lancets in C16 style with cusped ogee heads and square headed reveals. West end has single square headed late C15 lancet. South porch, C19, has 2 pairs of corner buttresses and coped gable with kneelers and cross. Chamfered doorway with round shafts, hood mould and mask stops. East side has double lancet with trefoil heads. Interior has rubble benches and principal rafter roof. Inner south doorway, C13, with hood mould and mask stops. Gothick panelled door, late C18. Above, shield with Arms. Nave arcades, early C13, 3 bays, have each 2 round piers and responds with moulded bases and capita s. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. C19 scissor braced roof with arch braces on various C19 corbels. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, with half-round shafts and moulded capitals. C20 traceried panelled wooden screen. Tower chamber has part of C12 traceried panel with figures below west window. North aisle has moulded C19 lean-to roof. East window in use as niche containing C20 figure. South aisle has similar roof. South side has to east, restored C14 piscina with leaf carving. East window has stained glass, 1896. Chancel arch, C13, restored, double chamfered and rebated, with half round shafts, moulded capitals, hood mould and mask stops. Dwarf stone screen carrying ornate late C19 iron railing and gate. Chancel north side has to left, C14 opening with keeled responds and double chamfered head. To right, C19 chamfered door with hood mould. East end has moulded sill band and window with shafts and hood mould. Stained glass 1884. South side has to east, corner piscina with shaft, restored, and set in window reveal. 2 windows with stained glass, early C20. Principal rafter roof, 1881, with collars and curved braces. Fittings include font c.1170, with interlaced round headed arcading and round shafts. Foliate rim. C19 wooden cover. C15 parish chest. 2 fragments of moulded oak altar rail, C18, with vase and stem balusters. Misericord, C15. Panelled oak pulpit, wooden lectern, chamfered panelled benches, all C19. Oak stalls and desks with shaped ends and fleur finials, c.1908. Monuments in tower chamber include alabaster chest tomb to Richard Whalley, 3 wives and 23 children. Moulded plinth, shield panels, inscribed top edge. Full size effigy in armour with whales at head and feet. 3 back panels with ogee heads and inscribed band, strapwork and effigies of wives and children. Inscribed head panel with Arms on reverse side. 2 fragments of Anglo Saxon tomb slab and cross shaft. Ornate Baroque wall monument to Walter Penistone Whalley, 1680, with Latin inscribed panel in Classical surround with cornice, crest and Arms. Baroque style marble tablet to Margaret Whalley, 1675, with Latin inscribed panel with draped apron, skull, shouldered ogee hood and Arms. Classical marble tablet with urn, 1753. Similar tablet with Greek Key border and inscribed apron, to Admiral Evelyn Sutton, 1817, and Roosilia Sutton, 1829. Oval slate tablet C19. Carved Royal Arms, Charles II, 1684.

Listing NGR: SK7287943415

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
448159
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06378/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Lawrence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].