CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1243910
Date first listed:
19-Sep-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Sep-2002
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, GRAYSWOOD ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1243910.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jul-2020 at 01:50:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, GRAYSWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Haslemere
National Grid Reference:
SU 91707 34774

Details

HASLEMERE

915/10/42 GRAYSWOOD ROAD 19-SEP-77 GRAYSWOOD (West side) CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

GV II Church. 1901-2 by the Swedish architect, Axel Haig. C13 style with Arts and Crafts elements. Squared rock-faced Bargate stone rubble with freestone dressings; tiled roof with sprocketted eaves; timber-framed belfry stage and shingled spire to tower. Nave, chancel; SE tower with organ chamber in the base; adjoining SE vestry with its own porch; NE transept with boiler room on its E face with stack.

EXTERIOR. Lancet windows and buttresses to the nave. 2-light plate-traceried N window to transept, similar chamfered W window; 3-light Geometric Decorated style E window. 2-stage tower, the belfry stage timber-framed with louvered openings and a broach spire with hooded ventilators. The SE porch is gabled to the E with a carved demi-figure in the gable. NE boiler-room has a catslide roof with hipped N end and square-headed openings. A stack in the corner is gabled to the N and has a round chimney shaft. SW porch with a steep gable with incised cross, outer doorway with arch carried on paired shafts and original 2-leaf inner door under a segmental arch.

INTERIOR. Roll-moulded stone chancel arch on chamfered responds decorated with carved heads and stops. The nave has a boarded wagon roof divided into panels by moulded arch braces on moulded stone corbels; similar roofs to N transept and chancel. The truss W of the N transept is doubled and supported on wide carved stone corbels which form the base for statue niches with painted timber statues. 2-bay stone arcade into the N transept with a round pier on a very tall stone base, the capital carved with the symbols of the Evangelists, the responds with richly-carved capitals. In the spandrel above the pier a large pierced roundel with a large sculpted stone angel. The chancel has a marble reredos with sculpted demi-figures in square niches and a painted frieze of demi-figures on either side across the E wall. Below the frieze a probably original embroidery illustrates the Annunciation. Above the frieze painted figures of Moses and David on linen canvas, possibly by Carl Almquist. Art Nouveau gilded grilles to radiators and pipework in the chancel. Chancel floor of herringbone tiles; woodblock floors elsewhere. Well-made woodwork includes low wooden chancel rail combining Early English and classical motifs; organ case; choir stalls with ends with poppyhead finials and nave benches with shouldered ends and sunk panels. Polygonal timber pulpit with blind traceried sides on a stone stem; octagonal font with unusual deep bowl with alternating flat and convex sides on a carved base on shafts. Painted wooden sculpture of the Adoration of the Magi on the chancel wall. Stained glass includes E and N windows by Carl Almquist and a good W window by Kempe.

HISTORY. The church was funded by Alfred Hugh Harman of Grayswood Place who paid for the church and endowed it (wall plaque). Group value with churchyard wall, lychgate and monument to Axel Haig. Haig was a pupil of Burges and a noted engraver.

A largely single-phase building, externally compact with well-crafted fittings and some unusual details inside.

Sources Pevsner, Surrey, 1971, 262 All Saints, Grayswood Centenary Celebration 1902-2002, leaflet, 2002.



Listing NGR: SU9170734774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
448407
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971)
Other
All Saints, Grayswood Centenary Celebration 1902-2002 (leaflet), (2002)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00450/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Linney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].