CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1244521

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1991

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1998

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, EXETER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244521 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:05:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, EXETER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 48742 54429

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PLYMOUTH

SX4854 EXETER STREET, Plymouth 740-1/58/367 (South side) 14/10/91 Church of St John the Evangelist (Formerly Listed as: SUTTON-ON-PLYM EXETER STREET Church of St John the Evangelist)

II

Anglican church. 1851-5 by B Ferrey; N Lady Chapel 1883, rebuilt 1955. Roughly coursed and squared limestone with ashlar dressings; dry slate roofs with coped gable ends. STYLE: Early Pointed. PLAN: nave, N and S aisles, Lady Chapel annexe to N aisle, N and W porches, tower to E end of N aisle. EXTERIOR: corner angle buttresses; aisles with 2-light windows with plate tracery; chancel 4-light E window with sexfoil tracery; lancets to sides; 2-light end aisle windows with bar tracery and hoodmoulds, all windows cusped. Pointed-arched moulded doorways, E porch doorway with head stops to hoodmoulds and stepped lancets over; cusped rose window above E gable of nave. Lady Chapel has lancets to N wall and cusped W rose window. 3-stage tower has weathered corner buttresses and louvred 2-light traceried windows with hoodmoulds; broach spire with lucarnes springing from narrower upper stage; moulded pointed arched N doorway. INTERIOR: plastered walls and open timber scissor-truss roofs; tall moulded chancel arch without capitals; 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers. FITTINGS: font of polished limestone; high altar reredos of 1869 with carved figures; former chancel screen of ironwork on wooden traceried base, now forms screen to Lady Chapel; octagonal pulpit of 1869 with top panel open trefoils painted c1900 in Quattrocento style; octagonal font in squat early English style with carved cover by Pinwell sisters; S chapel screen of 1914 with triptych painted in quattrocento style; screen between chancel and vestry has bar tracery to glazed arcade above bench. STAINED GLASS: E window with evangelists 1865 by Hardman; 3 x S aisle windows of 1867-70 and former E window of 1862 now in S aisle. HISTORY: Ferrey was a pupil of AWN Pugin. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-: 643-4; Power WJ: A Layman's View of Some Plymouth Churches: 1977-: 55).



Listing NGR: SX4874254429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 473382

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 643-644
Power, W J , A Laymans View of Some Plymouth Churches, (1977), 55

End of official listing