NUMBERS 10 TO 14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS (BUILDING NUMBERS 1/68-72)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1244549
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 10 TO 14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS (BUILDING NUMBERS 1/68-72), SHORT ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 10 TO 14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS (BUILDING NUMBERS 1/68-72)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 17:52:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 10 TO 14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS (BUILDING NUMBERS 1/68-72), SHORT ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 63207 00616

Details

SU 6300 NW SHORT ROW (East side) HM Naval Base 774-1/29/232 Nos 10-14 (Consecutive) and attached railings and walls (Building Nos 1/68-72)

GV II*

Terrace of 5 dockyard officials' houses, part now offices and part accommodation. 1787 with near-contemporary addition (No.10) and C19 and C20 alterations. Building supervisor Thomas Telford; contractors Thomas Parlby and Son. Red brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings. Hipped plain tile roof with brick stacks. Cast-iron railings. Mid Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement; straight joint between No.10 ( on left) which is of 2 bays with side porch, and the rest, which are each of 4 bays with space between houses and central entrances: step up to wooden porch with incised panels, 6-panel door, fanlight with decorative and radial glazing bars and 12-pane sashes to side-windows; inside, step up to similar door and fanlight in panelled reveal. Windows have segmental brick arches, projecting stone sills, and 12-pane sashes, shorter on 2nd floor; 6-pane sashes to basement. Rendered plinth; ashlar 1st-floor band; stepped eaves with ashlar string; parapet with flat ashlar coping. Party walls rising above roof line as fire walls. Single-storey added bay on right with blind window. INTERIOR of No.14: wall panelling, dado rails, simple cornices, panelled doors and window reveals, cupboards, and original fireplaces throughout. Some of the fireplaces have decorative surrounds, including that in the principal ground-floor room which has husk garlands to pilasters, frieze and mantel, and cherubs in roundels at corners. Entrance hall has round- arched main entrances with pilasters and fan- lights with decorative glazing bars. Closed string open well stair with columnar newels and slender column-on-block balusters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: basement areas fronted by railings on stone plinth which have urn finials to standards and flame finials to bars. Iron boot- scraper on right of entrance to No.13. Rear: 2-storey 4-bay wings linked by high yard walls (approx 3.5 metres high) which each have a board door below gauged flat brick arch. HISTORY: the terrace was built to house senior dockyard officials, originally the Surgeon, Master Ropemaker, Clerk to Ropeyard and Boatswain, for whom there was not room in Long Row (qv). The Navy customarily provided accommodation for Yard officers, and this is one of a fine series of composed dockyard terraces. (Sources: Coad J: Historic Architecture of HM Naval Base Portsmouth 1700- 1850: Portsmouth: 1981: 12, plate 8; Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690- 1850: Aldershot: 1989: 54; Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974: 67; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 414).



Listing NGR: SU6299200361

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476701
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coad, J , Historic Architecture of H M Naval Base Portsmouth 1700-1850, (1981), 12
Coad, J G, The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Architecture and Engineering Works of the Sailing Navy, (1989), 54
Lloyd, D W , Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs, (1974), 67
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 414

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].