Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244667.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:19:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rushcliffe (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 78026 44621


SK 74 SE 5/143

SHELTON MAIN STREET (north west side) Church of St. Mary


II* Parish church. C11, C13, tower demolished and bellcote built 1837. Restored, re-roofed, and chancel rebuilt, vestry added 1878. Coursed rubble and ashlar with concrete tile roofs. Chamfered eaves and coped gables with crosses. Nave, south aisle, chancel, vestry, south porch. Nave, C13, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth. West end has a chamfered lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Above, corbelled shouldered bellcote with coped gable and cross. 2 chamfered cusped head openings and trefoil in peak. North side has 2 C19 lancets with hood moulds. That to left has mask stops. Smaller lancet to right has re-set foliate stops. To left, external stack with round stalk. Vestry, 2 bays, has chamfered eaves and coped gables with kneelers. North side has to west, re-set chamfered doorway, C13, with hood mould. East end has lancet with hood mould. 2 re-set capitals with nailhead, and 2 moulded arch stones. Chancel, 2 bays, has at east end C13 style stepped triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. South side has to left, tall lancet and to right, restored C13 lancet with hood mould. South porch, restored 1878, has C13 style doorway with filleted roll moulded head dying into chamfered reveal. Hood mould with foliate stops. Interior has C14 stone benches and common rafter roof with collars. Inner doorway, C11, has 2 small colonettes with simple waterleaf and volute capitals, and single larger shaft with carved volute capital. Chamfered lintel. South arcade, C13, 3 bays, has 2 round piers and responds. Piers have moulded round bases and simple moulded capitals. Responds have moulded square bases and that to east has waterleaf capital. That to west has plaque with Arms of William Warburton. Chamfered arches have hood moulds. Common rafter roof with collars and ashlar pieces. West window has late C19 stained glass. North side west window has mid C19 patterned stained glass. East window has stained glass, 1869. South aisle has east window with C13 colonettes and good stained glass, 1870s. South side has to east, large C13 piscina with cusped head, filleted roll and cove moulding, hood mould with remains of stops. To west, remains of chamfered stoup on plain bracket. Lean-to roof, 1878, with 3 re- set corbels and ashlar pieces. Chancel has moulded pointed wooden arch with turned imposts on moulded corbels, set in timber framework with billeted lintel. Heavily restored traceried panelled screen, C15, with billeted transom and bressumer. North side has chamfered recess to organ chamber. To right, C13 style moulded piscina with shafts and hood mould. East end has window with shafts and poor C19 stained glass. South side has to east, window with patterned C19 stained glass. To west, window with stained glass signed "J. Hardman 1983". Common rafter roof with collars and ashlar pieces. Fittings include mid C17 font with tapered octagonal stem with ring, and plain octagonal bowl. Flat wood cover with upright brass cross. Traceried panelled oak pulpit on chamfered octagonal ashlar base, 1886. C19 lectern with turned bracketed wooden stem. Choir stalls with shaped ends and trefoil panels, matchboard benches with carved, shaped ends, 1878. Organ in trefoil panelled case. Monuments include 2 large fragments of C10 cross with interlace decoration. Benefaction board, mid C18. Oval slate cartouche with Classical marble tablet, to William Ffarmerie, 1826. Signed "H. Marshall, Newark". Marble and slate tablet to Samuel Maltby and wife (victims of the Indian Mutiny), 1857. Egyptian style table to Robert Hall, 1838. 4 brasses to Wright family, C19. Brass, 1944.

Listing NGR: SK7802644621


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06531/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Lawrence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].