CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244670.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 19:08:27.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rushcliffe (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 76393 45409
SIBTHORPE CHURCH LANE
SK 74 NE
2/150 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C13, C14, chancel 1335, nave late C18 and vestry late C19. Coursed rubble, ashlar and dressed stone. Concrete tile roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, C13, 2 stages, has to west 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 3 setoffs, with chamfered plinths. String course, moulded eaves, plain parapet. First stage has to south, chamfered lancet. To west, restored C14 doorway with moulded imposts, hood mould and mask stops. Above, rectangular light. East side has remains of 2 nave gables. Second stage has 4 paired lancets with central shaft, vescia piscis and hood mould. Nave north side, 3 bays, C14, restored C19, has 3 buttresses, chamfered plinth and sill band. To east, chamfered C13 piscina. To right, 2 blocked arcade openings containing a 4 light and a 3 light C14 lancet with ogee reticulation and hood moulds. That to right incorporates a pair of flanking rectangular lights. Above, 4 re-used corbels. Nave south side, late C18, Classical Revival style, has chamfered plinth, moulded eaves, projecting quoins and architraves, coped gable with kneelers. To right, 2 round headed windows with Y tracery. Chancel, 2 bays, has chamfered eaves. North side has to west, triple lancet with cusped ogee heads and unusual flowing tracery with hood mould. East end has 2 pairs of gabled corner buttresses with double plinths, single setoff, sill band. Coped gable with cross. 5 light ogee lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. South side has chamfered plinth, sill band and moulded eaves. 2 gabled butresses with deep plinths. 3 triple ogee lancets with flowing tracery and hood moulds. Vestry, late C19, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped gables with kneelers. Pair of squat corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. Each end has a C13 style moulded lancet with hood mould and mask stops. North side has central shouldered external stack with octagonal shaft. South porch, late C18, has chamfered plinth and eaves, coped gable with kneelers and cross. Round headed south doorway has projecting imposts and keystone. Interior has stone reredos and common rafter roof. C18 inner doorway has round head with projecting imposts and keystone. Aisleless nave has panelled dado, moulded cornice and plaster ceiling. C13 tower arch, double chamfered, has separate mouldings each side of the archivolt. 4 octagonal tapered imposts. C19 matchboard screen with door. Chancel arch, C13, restored C19, double chamfered, has triple shaft responds with cusps between them, moulded bases and crocketed foliate octagonal capitals. Chancel has C19 principal rafter roof with arch braces carried on curved brackets with foliate corbels. North side has moulded C14 door and to right, segmental headed tomb recess, roll moulded and with C19 painted text, and hood mould. Above, Easter Sepulchre, with moulded ogee recess with crocketed gable containing figures. Flanked by 2 ogee headed panels with figures of soldiers. Figure corbels. All painted. East end has, to right, chamfered aumbry. Window has stained glass, late C19. South side has to east, chamfered and moulded piscina, C13, and remains of a piscina in window recess. Vestry has mid C19 Gothic fireplace. Fittings include font, 1662, chamfered octagonal base, tapered stem with panel at foot inscribed "W 1662". Octagonal bowl with strapwork panels and moulded edge. Large C18 oak table with cabriole legs. Oak chest with bracket feet, leaf carving and inscription "A W 1763". C19 wooden lectern, octagonal stem. C18 bench with shaped ends and arm rests, plus 4 copies. Matchboarded and panelled C19 benches, stalls and desks. 2 late C19 brass and iron chandeliers. Panelled pulpit, stand and steps, oak, 1969. Large alabaster monument to Edward Burnell, 1590. Pilastered chest on plinth, with shield supported by putti. Panelled ends have roundels with the initials "E" and "B". Top edge inscribed "Edward Burnell gt. departed this present world the -- december in the peace of our Lord 1589". Full size effigy in civilian dress. Pilastered head panel has strapwork and on each side a blank shield. Inscribed "Made anno dmi 1590/ By me Barbara Burnell". Pilastered back panel with frieze inscribed "God grant us all a joyful resurrection." Bracketed ogee crest contains roundel with initials "E B".
Listing NGR: SK7639345412
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing