1/1A-5/5A OLD ST ANDREW'S MANSIONS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1244824
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1999
Statutory Address:
1/1A-5/5A OLD ST ANDREW'S MANSIONS, OLD CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244824.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 05:26:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
1/1A-5/5A OLD ST ANDREW'S MANSIONS, OLD CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Brent (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 20623 86778

Details

TQ 28 NW 935/2/10046

OLD CHURCH LANE 1/1A-5/5A Old St Andrew's Mansions

GV II

Block of ten flats. 1936 by Ernest George Trobridge. Brick, with render - particularly to upper stories and gables; some half timbering, especially to .bays and gables. Tiled roofs with hips and gables, and with extraordinary stacks, characteristic of Trobridge's idiosyncratic style. Each pair of two flats treated as a distinctive house in irregular picturesque composition, but with external stairs leading to the upper flats. EXTERIOR: All the flats have opening casement windows under latticed toplights, in timber frames, except those to Nos. 4 and 5 which have been renewed and are not in keeping. Leaded lozenge glazing to all the lights of No.4a, but this must always have been unusual. The main four-light windows are set in square bays, but their staggered grouping is irregular, and punctuated by flourishes of idiosyncratic brickwork, particularly to the stacks and staircases balustrades. All gables have decorated timber barge boards. Prominent steps to No.1a. Nos.2, 2a, 3 and 3a share a most elaborate grouped chimney, their three flues linked high above eaves level. Arch between Nos. 3/3a and 4/4a, through which Nos. 3 and 4 are entered, surmounted by the curved stairs with machicolated brick balustrading leading to the upper flats. Entry to Nos 5/5a from side, the projecting staircase having a stepped balustrade and culminating in open porch under timber gable whose partial glazing has leaded lights. Original panelled doors with small timber lights. INTERIORS not inspected, but understood to retain panelling to living rooms, with picture rail and deep frieze and ceiling cove above. Doors lined in the same timber. The other rooms with coved ceilings and bedroom with picture rail. Included as the best surviving flats by E G Trobridge, an eccentric local architect whose limited surviving works are concentrated in the Kingsbury area where he lived. His own house in Slough Lane is already listed, and it was with a series of timber-framed houses that he came to attention in the 1920s, for he developed a method of using unseasoned timber and unskilled ex-servicemen to build cheap yet charismatic homes for heroes. In the 1930s he went on to build flats, of brick but again with quirky detailing, of which only Nos.1/1a- 12/12a St Andrew's Mansions survive in listable condition. The detailing is inspired by Trobridge's devout Swedenborgian beliefs, Emanuel Swedenborg (1688-1772) proposed a system of "correspondence" whereby worldly, spiritual and divine ideas could be related together. Trobridge wrote in 1909 that 'the philosophy of Swedenborg affects every detail of every structure ... the doctrine of degrees enables one to divide each problem into end, cause and effect.' The effect on his work was the idiosyncratic expression of every chimney, staircase and external detail, while his understanding of timber enriched otherwise humble interiors. The result is to make his artisan rented housing quite remarkable. Source Oxford Brookes University, Ernest George Trobridge, Architect Extraordinary , 1982.

Listing NGR: TQ2062386778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472858
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Smith, G, Ernest George Trobridge Architect Extraordinary, (1982)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01011/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian G Stokes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].