This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MONUMENT TO SAMUEL ROGERS AND FAMILY IN NORTH EAST CORNER OF ST MARYS CHURCHYARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MONUMENT TO SAMUEL ROGERS AND FAMILY IN NORTH EAST CORNER OF ST MARYS CHURCHYARD

List entry Number: 1244865

Location

MONUMENT TO SAMUEL ROGERS AND FAMILY IN NORTH EAST CORNER OF ST MARYS CHURCHYARD, HIGH STREET N8

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Haringey

District Type: London Borough

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3089 800/23/10048

HORNSEY HIGH STREET, N8 (south side) Monument to Samuel Rogers and family in north-east corner of St Mary's Churchyard

GV II

Chest tomb with attached railings, cl832. Rectangular rendered brick plinth surmounted by a York stone slab set with square fluted cast-iron railings with fleur-de-Lys finials and having corner and centre turned balusters with urn finials. Portland stone memorial sarcophagus with raised and fielded side panels to each face, standing on a base plinth with ogee moulding. The inscription, in Bodoni Bold capitals, on the north face reads, "In this vault lie the remains of Henry Rogers Esq of Highbury Terrace, died Dec. XXV MDCCCXXXII, aged 58. Also of Sarah Rogers of Regents Park, sister of the above, died Jan. XXX MDCCCLV, aged 82. Also of Samuel Rogers, author of The Pleasures of Memory, brother of the above named Henry & Sarah, born at Newington Green XXX July MDCCLXIII, died at St James Place Westminster XVIII Dec. MDCCCLV". The west face reads, "Henry Rogers 1832, Sarah Rogers 1855, Samuel Rogers 1855". HISTORY: Samuel Rogers was one of the most celebrated Romantic poets, benefactor of Wordsworth and other poets and patron of Flaxman and Stothard.

Listing NGR: TQ3067089330

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ3067089330

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1244865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 11:12:10.

End of official listing