CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245132
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, BATH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245132.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 07:23:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, BATH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hounslow (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 12532 75982

Details

TQ 1275 BATH ROAD, Hounslow

787-/30/10041 St Paul's Church

II

Anglican church. 1873-4 by WG Habershon and AR Pite. Ragstone with Bath stone dressing; 2-coloured slate roof. Cruciform plan. EXTERIOR: wide-aisled nave of 4 bays with broad shallow transepts, lower chancel roof; chancel of 2 bays with organ chamber and choir vestry to the south and priest's vestry on the north. Tower of 4 storeys, buttresses at the corners and gargoyles, with broach spire, at SW corner. Large Decorated windows to nave, transepts and chancel; clerestory with trefoils and quatrefoils. Aisles have paired windows with Decorated tracery with bays divided by buttresses. The clerestory has small openings of alternate trefoils and quatrefoils set in circular frames. The south wall of the transept has a wide Decorated window with traceried lights in the lower part and a circle containing trefoils and quatrefoils in the upper part. The lower part of the transept is lit by four lancet windows with trefoils in the heads. East window of five lights with a wheel window in the head. The north transept and north wall of the nave are identical with the south side of the church. The west wall has a projecting porch around the west door and a rose window above. INTERIOR: 4 bays with fifth larger deeper bays into the transepts. Timber roof, panelled, with arched trusses. Aisles have pent roofs in wood with carved braces. Chancel arch: thin colonnettes, carved bases and capitals, moulded and pointed arch. Nave arcades supported on round pillars with foliated capitals. Above the pillars in the nave colonnettes stand on stone brackets. West door surrounded with stone frontispiece with a triangular crocketed gable. Aisle windows are of 3 lights with splayed embrasures. STAINED GLASS: the wide east window has glass depicting scenes from the life and teaching of St Paul, 1883. North side: Christ the Carpenter and Harvest by Alan Younger, 1967. Otherwise, glass not exceptional. FITTINGS: original pews with moulded tops to backs. Organ on south side of the chancel, with painted pipes, and quatrefoils carved onto the organ case. Font: stone octagon with trefoils and quatrefoils alternating on the side panels. Pulpit: c1917, donated in memory of Edith Beven.



Listing NGR: TQ1253275982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468823
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/02781/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Quiller Barrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].