CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245364
Date first listed:
03-Jun-1997
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, PITSHANGER LANE W5

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245364.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:33:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, PITSHANGER LANE W5

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Ealing (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17366 82275

Details

TQ 18 SE 962/2/10036

PITSHANGER LANE, W5 (North side) Church of St Barnabas

II

Anglican church. 1914-16. By Ernest Charles Shearman. Purple-brown bricks, yellow limestone dressings, tiled roof. PLAN AND EXTERIOR: nave of 5 bays with transepts; apsidal chancel with Lady Chapel (rebuilt 1987) to south-east (with rose window to east). Unfinished towers at west end. Entrance porch within south-west tower, with double-doors surmounted by statue of Christ within gable designed by Shearman and added in 1926. North nave wall largely faced with Fletton brick. INTERIOR: tall chancel with open timber roof, decorated with large painting in spirit fresco on canvas of the Adoration of the Holy Ghost by James Clark, 1917-20. Sanctuary steps paved with grey marble (recently extended). Broad nave with arch-braced roof flanked by aisles set behind double arches of brick. Large organ gallery at west end below large rose window with flowing tracery. Stained glass windows to nave and sanctuary by Clayton and Bell. St Barnabas is one of Shearman's idiosyncratic large-scale brick churches, the prototype of which was St Silas the Martyr (1911-12), St Silas Place, NW5 - L B CAMDEN (qv); this was the first of three similar designs in West London.

Listing NGR: TQ1736682275

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
468706
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/02781/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Quiller Barrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].