CURTAIN WALL TO WEST AND SOUTH WEST OF INNER BAILEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1245537
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CURTAIN WALL TO WEST AND SOUTH WEST OF INNER BAILEY, INNER BAILEY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245537.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 23:26:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CURTAIN WALL TO WEST AND SOUTH WEST OF INNER BAILEY, INNER BAILEY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chester Castle
National Grid Reference:
SJ 40430 65741

Details

SJ 4065 NW 4/611

CHESTER CASTLE, INNER BAILEY Curtain Wall to west and south-west of Inner Bailey

(formerly listed as Curtain Wall, earlier remains including Sallyport and Halfmoon Tower)

1.6.67

GV I

Curtain wall. After 1246 with C18, C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Bunter sandstone ashlar. Forming western side of a rectangular enclosure with a rounded corner to the south-west. Set on Saxon defensive mound at west. Western front: Half-moon tower at extreme left; semicircular in plan with battered lower level. C19 sash windows to ground and first floors facing north and east. Battlemented parapet above. Low wall extending to left linking up with the rear of B Block (q.v.). To the right the curtain wall extends with a battlemented parapet and 2 early C19 horizontal gun slits. At the south-western curved corner are a series of three buttresses with offsets. Blocked door to ground floor level between second and third of these from left. Tower to right. Slightly projecting. The height of the wall diminishes via an offset at right of this tower but the wall extends considerably lower as the earth mound dies. Arched doorway to right approached by flight of C20 concrete steps leading to sallyport steps. Southern curtain wall of 1786 adjoins to right (q.v.). Rear: Arched sally port stairway exists at left with stairway up to ramparts immediately to right of it. Brick inner face of wall at right of this with stone walkway to ramparts with C20 iron railings. Flag tower projects at centre: two storeys of Bunter sandstone with central ground floor doorway and two openings to first floor, that at left with round arch, that at right with cement lintel. To right is projecting early C19 house on the site of the Frobisher's workshop and abutting the rear of the half-moon tower. Now of three bays, though originally extending further left. Entrance front: stucco rendered on three bays. Horned sash windows to first floor with stone cills. Lateral ground floor doors with central bowed oriel of 4 x 4 horned sash panes. Jagged wall at left indicating recent demolition.

Source: Frank Simpson - "Chester Castle AD 907-1925". Journal of the Architectural, Archaeological and Historic Society, Chester and North Wales. New Series Vol.XXVI, Part II.

Listing NGR: SJ4042865717

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
452991
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of the Architectural Archaeological and Historic Society Chester and NWA' in The Architectural Archaeological and Historic Society , , Vol. 26, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03254/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael J Tuck. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].