CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1245817

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, SOUTHTOWN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:45:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, SOUTHTOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TG 52146 07165

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT YARMOUTH

TG5207SW SOUTHTOWN ROAD 839-1/15/242 (East side) 27/06/53 Southtown And Gorleston Church of St Mary

GV II

Parish church. 1831. By JJ Scoles, extended in 1893. Gault brick. Slate roofs. Nave and narrow chancel with vestries added north and south of the chancel. EXTERIOR: nave with 5 tall lancets to north and south separated by flat buttresses rising to low parapets. The buttresses have knapped flint panels. West front with a low narthex added 1925 entered through an arched doorway under a shouldered pediment and flanked by a small lancet right and left. Similar shouldered pediment framed between pair of tall square pinnacles to main wall containing 3 stepped lancets. Arched side doors. Wide gabled roof. Chancel with twin lancets north and south and a blind east end. INTERIOR: no arcades. Suspended ceiling. Gallery round 3 walls removed 1914. Triple pointed sedilia and piscina in chancel. Altar, reredos and panelling, pulpit and Litany desk relocated from Church of St Peter (qv) 1964.



Listing NGR: TG5214607165

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 468643

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing