CHURCH OF ST GILES IN THE FIELDS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1245864
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES IN THE FIELDS, ST GILES HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245864.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 04:16:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES IN THE FIELDS, ST GILES HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29963 81260

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2981SE ST GILES HIGH STREET 798-1/104/1509 (South side) 24/10/51 Church of St Giles-in-the-Fields

GV I

Church. 1731-33. By Henry Flitcroft, restored 1896, and c1952 when N Haines and G Jackson also restored interior decoration. Portland stone with copper roof. Classical style. Rectangular plan, nave of 5 bays plus vestibule at west end with tower over. EXTERIOR: rusticated stone to string course marking interior gallery level, above plain ashlar with rusticated quoins. Ground floor windows rectangular with flat arches; gallery windows round-headed with keystones, moulded architraves and plain impost blocks. Modillion cornice with blocking course above. At west end of south and north facades an entrance door with Gibbs surround. Pedimented west end has flight of 7 steps leading to 2 leaf, fielded 3-panelled entrance door with a Gibbs surround. Above, a semicircular headed window with a round-headed niche to either side and a square niche to either side above that. H FLITCROFT ARCHITECTUS carved on the entablature. East end pedimented with Doric Venetian window (glass to centre only). Tower of rusticated base, ashlar belfry with round-headed openings, coupled pilasters supporting an entablature, surmounted, on each face, by a clock & urn finials at each corner. Octagonal lantern with engaged Ionic columns supporting an entablature broken forward at each angle. Spire with rustic bands & golden ball weathervane. INTERIOR: vestibule at west end of 3 lobbies, centre being entrance to nave, to either side containing open stairs to galleries. Tunnel-vaulted nave with shallow sanctuary, groin-vaulted aisles over which galleries which continue across west end. Square panelled piers rising to the underside of galleries support Ionic columns with block entablatures, all of Portland stone; these carry the roof & ceiling. Font 1810, much restored Father Smith Organ 1671 in case probably of 1734, inlaid mahogany pulpit 1676. Carved monument to George Chapman (translator of Homer), dated 1634, probably designed by Inigo Jones. In front of west door, pedimented entrance gate by William Leverton, c1810, incorporating wooden relief of Resurrection of the Dead, 1686-7 by Love. (Survey of London: Vol. V, The Parish of St Giles-in-the-Fields Part II: London: -1914).





Listing NGR: TQ2996381261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
477939
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Giles in the Fields Part 2: Volume 5 , (1914)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/12764/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].