KINGS SCHOOL GYMNASIUM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1245961
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
KINGS SCHOOL GYMNASIUM, CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINGS SCHOOL GYMNASIUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1245961.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 08:21:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
KINGS SCHOOL GYMNASIUM, CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Gloucester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 83135 18824

Details

GLOUCESTER

SO8318NW CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS 844-1/8/47 King's School Gymnasium 23/01/52 (Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS Cathedral Church of the Holy and Indivisible Trinity)

GV II

Gymnasium. 1852. FS Waller for the King's School in a style modelled on late C14 work in the cathedral church. Rubble with ashlar details, steeply pitched slate roof with small lourved dormers and coped gables and kneelers. A large rectangular hall at the west end of the site of the dormitory of the former Benedictine Abbey of St Peter on the east side of and entered from the cloister. EXTERIOR: offset plinth, short weathered buttresses; in the east gable-end wall a four-light window with Perpendicular tracery and a linked pair of quatrefoil roof vents in the apex of the gable. 4-bay west elevation with 2-light ogee-headed windows set in square-headed openings. INTERIOR: not inspected.



Listing NGR: SO8313518824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472132
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/00837/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jack Farley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].