CHARCOT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1246043
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1998
Statutory Address:
CHARCOT HOUSE, HIGHCLIFFE DRIVE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246043.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2020 at 12:21:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHARCOT HOUSE, HIGHCLIFFE DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 21871 74207

Details

TQ 21 74 SE WANDSWORTH, LB HIGHCLIFFE DRIVE (south east side)

1207/19/10054 Charcot House

GV II* Block of 75 maisonettes. Designed 1952-3; built 1955-8 by the London County Council's Architect's Department, Colin Lucas Architect in Charge, J A Partridge, W G Howell, J A W Killick, S F Amis, J R Galley and R Stout job architects. W V Zinn and Partners engineers. Reinforced concrete in-situ frame of board-marked concrete now painted, with storey-height prefabricated concrete panels with Dorset shingle and Derbyshire spar exposed aggregate; flat roof. The plan consists of five tiers each of fifteen maisonettes each a 12' bay, raised on alternating lines of two and three piloti at bay intervals along the ground floor. The nine bays south of the lift shaft are unenclosed. Top of lift shaft and services expressed on roof as geometric shapes. Double-height lift landings, paved. Each maisonette has private balcony facing east, and galllery access from west; the upper three tiers of flats additionally with steel emergency access balconies at bedroom level. Timber windows (original) with open casements and flush timber doors. Each maisonette with kitchen and living room on lower level, two bedrooms and internal, mechanically ventilated bathroom and toilet (a new departure in planning) on upper level; internal fittings not of special interest. Ramp of board-marked concrete in front of lifts incorporates Corbusian drip mould, much imitated in the most progressive architecture of the time. The slab blocks devised by this team are inspired by Le Corbusier's Unite d'Habitation in Marseilles, which Howell and others had visited in 1951. The proportions are based on his 'Modulor' and the Fibonacci number sequence. The expression of each maisonettes as an individual element in the facade marked a new rigour and sophistication in slab design. The placing of the slabs into the side of the hill, a revision made in September 1953, is a powerful and skillful response to their landscape setting in Downshire Field, an C18 landscape much remodelled and enhanced by the team; the steep slope gave purpose to the pilotis; the relationship of the blocks to each other and the landscape is a 'majestic' piece of town planning (Ian Nairn). They are the centrepiece of the Alton West Estate, the LCC's most ambitious post-war development scheme and considered 'probably the finest low-cost housing development in the world' (G E Kidder Smith).



Listing NGR: TQ2187174207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
472041
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bruckmann, H, Lewis, D L, New Housing in Great Britain, (1960), 60-98
Kidder Smith, G E , The New Architecture of Europe, (1961), 44
Nairn, I, Modern Buildings in London, (1964), 62-63
Pepper, S, 'The Cambridge Guide to the Arts in Britain' in Housing At Roehampton, (1988), 279-287

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15475/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Addison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].