MONUMENT TO MAJOR CARTWRIGHT IN ST MARY AT FINCHLEY CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1246062
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1996
Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO MAJOR CARTWRIGHT IN ST MARY AT FINCHLEY CHURCHYARD, HENDON LANE N3

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONUMENT TO MAJOR CARTWRIGHT IN ST MARY AT FINCHLEY CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:11:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO MAJOR CARTWRIGHT IN ST MARY AT FINCHLEY CHURCHYARD, HENDON LANE N3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24900 90512

Details



TQ 2490 HENDON LANE, N3

31-/18/10312 Monument to Major Cartwright in St Mary-at-Finchley Churchyard

GV II

Church monument to Major John Cartwright (1740-1824). Obelisk. Erected 1835 and paid for by public subscription. Yellow oolitic limestone. Square tapering obelisk with armorial and portrait roundels on front, above armorial shield. Inscriptions on east and south sides. Set within damaged kerb with some surviving railings. Cartwright (1740-1824) was a leading Radical of the period 1775-1824 and was known by the title of the 'Father of Reform'. He founded the Society for Constitutional Information and published numerous works advocating Universal Suffrage. The monument was erected in 1835 and paid for by public subscription (The Mirror, 19 December 1835). Full inscription (no longer legible) given in Barnet Press and Finchley Borough News, 13 April 1935.



Listing NGR: TQ2490090512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
454395
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Barnet Press and Finchley Borough News' in 13 April, (1935)
'The Mirror' in 19 December, (1835)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/07788/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adam Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].