Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246103.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-May-2021 at 00:06:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31158 81588


TQ3181NW 627-0/1/10199

HOLBORN BARS (South side) Nos.1-4 (Consecutive)

(Formerly Listed as: CAMDEN STAPLE INN, Holborn Bars Nos.1-4 (Consecutive))


GV I Four chambers with later shops. The rear of these buildings form Nos 4, 5 and 6 Staple Inn (qv). 1586 for Vincent Engham, Principal of the Inn. In 1886 Alfred Waterhouse removed post-medieval additions (a plastered front and sash windows of C18 date) in a restoration funded by the Prudential Assurance Company. The rear resurfaced in brick c1826. Interior and rear extensively reconstructed in 1939 in order to preserve the timber framing to the front wall; restorations c1950.

Close studded timber frame front elevation with brick rear under a tiled, gabled roof, C20 chimney stacks. Three storeys and attic. Symmetrical front of five gabled bays having overhanging jetties at floor levels. Entrance to Staple Inn in central bay. The central gable bay with original splayed oriel window of six lights and one light to either side over main entrance (first and second floors). Each flanking bay with eight or nine lights, the centres projecting (first and second floors). Eight lights to attics. Transom and mullion casement windows with square leaded panes. Carved bressumers at floor levels and carved bargeboards to gables.

At ground floor, entrance to Staple Inn, a carved stone arched gateway flanked by Jacobean pilasters with moulded impost-capitals, round arch with reeded archivolt, panelled soffit and pendant key-block. Double panelled doors with wicket in right-hand leaf. To left, early C19 shopfronts, much altered. No. 3 with projecting entablature; No. 4 entablature with inswept frieze and dentil cornice and Corinthian pilaster at right hand from former shop doorway. Interior with C19 mahogany and glass fittings.

Nos. 1 and 2 with 1930s "Tudor" double front with central entrance. Herringbone brick risers support plate glass Tudor arched windows with enriched carved frames and spandrels beneath strips of small panes; entrance arch with coats of arms in spandrels. INTERIORS: not inspected.

HISTORY: with Nos. 337 and 338 High Holborn (qv), these building form a unique example in London of a C16 group of timber-framed houses.

Forms a group with the C18 styled buildings with addresses as follows: Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Staple Inn (qv), Nos. 4, 5 and 6 Staple Inn (qv), Nos. 7 and 8 Staple Inn (qv), and Nos. 9 and 10 Staple Inn (qv).

Formerly Listed in the LB of Camden. Since 1 April 1994 Staple Inn has been within the City of London.

Listing NGR: TQ 3115481587


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/16030/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andrew More. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].