ST ANDREW'S UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1246136

Date first listed: 31-May-2001

Statutory Address: ST ANDREW'S UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, NORTHEY AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANDREW'S UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246136 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 06:21:16.

Location

Statutory Address: ST ANDREW'S UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, NORTHEY AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Sutton (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 24777 62380

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/01/2018

PLANTQ2462 795/36/10011

CHEAM, NORTHEY AVENUE

St Andrew's United Reformed Church

(Formerly listed as: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW United Reformed Church)

31.05.01

II

Presbyterian Church. 1933. Maxwell Ayrton. Red brick exterior with red pantile roof. Birch plywood and plain walls to interior.

PLAN: Wide nave to 3-sided apse with narrow, low side aisles. Recessed entrance porch behind three arches to deep entrance hall with matching cloakrooms to each side. Staircase to each side up to gallery that extends over entrance and small narthex. Chapel to southeast. Corridor and church rooms off aisle to northeast connecting to 1927 church and 1950s and 1960s halls (not of interest). Drive-through porch behind east end.

EXTERIOR: Pitched roof to tall nave with slightly-stepped gabled parapet section to west (with single lancet) and to east (blank). West facade with large central lancet with stone hood and thin brick voussoirs. Flanking hipped-roof stair towers and cloakroom and three 4-sided arches to entrance arcade. Long elevation of eight 4-sided arch lancets each slightly recessed with stone hoods and thin brick voussoirs. String course of different brick extending from the base of the lancet hoods. Flat-roofed lower side aisles with fixed 6 and 8-light windows with brick lintels.

INTERIOR: A large open nave with raised gallery to west end, low side aisles through colonnade and raised 3-sided apse. Recessed porch to deep entrance hall with stepped ceiling beyond porch and cloakrooms and staircase to gallery at each side. Stone dedication plaque. Plain walls to nave with eight 4-sided arch lancets to each side. Lower side aisles of 4-sided arch section. 4-sided arch ceiling over nave and apse of birch plywood panels laid to alternating grain. Wooden floor with unfixed seating. Choir stalls, furniture (including raised pulpit with hood) and panelling to apse installed 1950 to original design and all with 4-sided arch motif. Three blind 4-sided arch openings to apse wall. Abstract jowled posts to nave aisle colonnade. Light bowls with 4-sides to upper wall between each lancet. Chapel with birchwood panel tray ceiling and 3-sided arch lancets.

SOURCE: St. Andrews, church history.

The first ecclesiastical building (1933) of Maxwell Ayrton, known mostly for his concrete bridges. Ayrton uses material (plywood birch panelling) and form (4-sided arch motif) within simple massing to create a striking interior space.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 487561

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing