CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1246141
Date first listed:
01-Jun-2001
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL, 340A, COMMERCIAL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246141.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 08:52:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MICHAEL, 340A, COMMERCIAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35259 81212

Details



788/0/10140 COMMERCIAL ROAD 01-JUN-01 340A Church of St Mary and St Michael

II



Roman Catholic church. 1852-1856 by William Wardell (1823-1899). Kentish rag stone with Bath stone dressings; Welsh slate roof. Eleven bay nave with chancel, side aisles, and side chapel; tower with spire never built. Gothic Revival, Decorated style. Five-light traceried window to (liturgical) west end over arched door, set between buttresses capped with statues of St Mary and St Michael; statue-filled niche above. Cross finials to gable apexes. Three-light Decorated tracery windows to ends of side aisles. Large traceried window to Chancel. Interior not inspected but said to contain numerous fittings of interest. These include: original altar and reredos of 1856 by Boulton & Swales in the side chapel; stained glass by Hardman & Co. of 1856; high altar and reredos of 1911 by R.C. Curtis; alabaster communion rails; statue of St Patrick by Theodore Phyffers, c1856. History: when first built this was the largest Roman Catholic church in the capital. Wardell, its architect, was a pupil of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin: this church embodies the teachings of his master. The chancel was altered in 1898 by F.A. Walter and the church was reordered in 1992 by Gerald Goalen.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487566
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].