This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1246211



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dunchurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jan-2001

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 487454

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


DUNCHURCH SP4871 RUGBY ROAD 1724/11/10005 Dunchurch Lodge 18-JAN-01


Country house and adjoining dining room and service buildings. House and service buildings 1906-07 by Gilbert Fraser of Liverpool for John Lancaster. Dining room 1950-52, by Press & Wright of Rugby, for the English Electric Co. Mid and late C20 alterations. Red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped Westmoreland slate roofs. Coped brick ridge and side wall stacks. Renaissance Revival style of c1700. Plinth, quoins, dentillated eaves. Windows are mainly stone mullioned cross-casements with leaded glazing. Dormers have glazing bar casements with alternating gabled and segmental pediments. 2 storeys plus basement and attics. 3 x 5 bays. L-plan, with single storey service buildings to north and dining room to east. Symmetrical entrance front has a stone porte-cochere with columns and elliptical arches flanked by double pilasters, with the owner's monogram, wreaths and swags above. Plain central opening framing panelled double doors, flanked by single windows. Above, 3 windows. On each side, a canted bay window, 2 storeys, S lights, and above again, S dormers. To right, the dining room, single storey, 3 bays. Central window, 7 lights, with Renaissance ornament to the lintel, flanked by canted bay windows, S lights. Similar bay window to north. Asymmetrical garden front, to south, has canted bay windows in alternate bays, with S-light windows between those to the left. To right, the stone faced entrance bay, with a round arched doorway under a hood carried on Doric columns, double keystone and half -glazed panelled door with sidelights. Above, a S-light window with swags and festoons to the lintel. Above again, S dormers. West end, single bay, has a 4-light window on each floor and a dormer above, with an additional single light on the first floor to left. North side has four 3-light windows and 3 dormers, and to right, a single storey flat roofed projection. Symmetrical west front, 3 bays, has an enriched pedimented doorcase with elongated double keystone and half-glazed door. Above it, a tall double-transomed window and above again, a round arched window with sidelights under a pediment. On each side, canted bay windows, 3 storeys, with 3 lights on each floor, cornices and half-round pediments. The former pool court is crossed by a late C20 external corridor. The service buildings comprise a double gabled range with a large external stack, and a yard enclosed by a wall with minor buildings including a pyramid-roofed game larder. INTERIOR: Entrance hall has fielded panelled dado, dentillated cornice and heavily enriched panelled ceiling. Original stone fireplace with moulded surround. Drawing room has heavily enriched frieze, dentillated cornice and enriched panelled ceiling, enriched doorcase with segmental pediment and C18 inlaid marble fireplace with figurative panel. Morning room, to south front, has cornice. Fully panelled billiard room has inglenook with wooden Ionic columns and chimneypiece with Doric columns, in early C 18 style. Late C20 suspended ceiling. Original dining room, to east front, has panelled dado, exposed joists and Classical style wooden fireplace flanked by 2-panel doors with eared architraves. Corridors and former gun room have cornices. Stair hall has Ionic columns and pilasters, and enriched panelled ceiling. Open-well major stair has panelled dado, enriched panelled newels, turned balusters and moulded ramped handrail. On the first floor landing, a segmental pediment on Doric pilasters. Dogleg minor stair has square newels and stick and splat balusters. First floor rooms and corridors have cornices and mainly original doors. Plain attics have some original fireplaces. Dunchurch Lodge is the outstanding centrepiece of a major estate, designed by Gilbert Fraser with his long-time collaborator, Thomas Mawson, the celebrated landscape architect. This is one of their most complete surviving ensembles.

Listing NGR: SP4900271300

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP4900271300


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2017 at 06:01:19.

End of official listing