Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246222.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 21:02:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 46548 72099



SX47SE SHILLAMILL VIADUCT 1818/6/10008 09-NOV-00


Railway viaduct. Built 1889 by the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway, engineers Galbraith and Church, with J.W. Szlumper for the London and South Western Railway. It is constructed of squared rock-faced granite with ashlar quoins, dressings and arch-rings. It is a double-track viaduct with twelve 50ft arches built almost in a straight line and is about 700 ft long with its greatest height at about 100ft. The piers taper from a plinth to a cornice and carry semi-circular arches. The parapet has a band and a canopy and there is a slightly projecting refuge above every second pier. The viaduct carries a tablet R+P 1889 [builders Relf and Pethick]. HISTORY: This viaduct was built by the Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway, an associate company of the London and South Western Railway, as part of their extension from Exeter to Plymouth which gave LSWR a wholly controlled line between London and Plymouth. The section from Lydford to Devonport was the last to be completed and was opened in 1890. The line was closed and lifted west and south of Lydford in 1968 and remains open only from Bere Alston to Plymouth. SOURCE: Williams, R.A., The London and South Western Railway, Vol.II, David and Charles, 1973, pp 256-8.

Listing NGR: SX4654872099


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Williams, R A, The London and South Western Railway, (1973), 256-8


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].