CONNAUGHT DRILL HALL (TA CENTRE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1246339
Date first listed:
23-Apr-2001
Statutory Address:
CONNAUGHT DRILL HALL (TA CENTRE), STANHOPE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246339.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 07:08:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONNAUGHT DRILL HALL (TA CENTRE), STANHOPE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Portsmouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 64085 00382

Details



SU400SW STANHOPE ROAD 774-1/21/10017 Connaught Drill Hall (TA Centre) 23-APR-01

II



Territorial Army drill hall. 1901; by A. Bone; damaged in 1941 and partly rebuilt after the Second World War. Stock brick with bands of red brick and some Portland stone dressings; red brick rebuilt front with concrete dressings. Sheet steel roof. PLAN: Large rectangular drill hall with range of offices at the south front and on the west side, and originally with a tower on the SW corner; the tower and the south offices were destroyed in an air raid in 1941, and rebuilt after the War without the tower. Tudor style. EXTERIOR: Rebuilt 2-storey embattled and curved south front, stepped back on left SW corner. The 2 and 3-storey range on west side breaks forwards on right, has embattled parapet, tall sash windows with glazing bars and stone lintels and cills; first floor corbelled out to right and with round corner turret on left NW corner with arrow-loop and corbelled castellation. Rear, north gable of drill hall has corbelled verges, large 4-light Diocletian window and splayed left NE corner with stepped parapet. East side of drill hall has six very tall segmental-headed windows with replaced glazing, the shorter second window from left has segmental arch doorway below with stepped string course above. INTERIOR: Large drill hall with 7-bay arched braced-girder steel roof, the spandrels of the trusses filled with circles, braced-girder purlins, truss posts inscribed 'H. Handyside and Co. Ltd., Derby and London'; galleries on south and west sides of hall on iron brackets and with iron balustrades. Offices on south and west sides, one on first floor of west side has cable-moulding to dado.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487330
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].