Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246506.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:39:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 38386 90902



SK39SE JENKIN ROAD 784-1/2/452 (South West side) 25/03/94 Church of St Margaret


Parish church. Dated 1934. By Flockton & Son. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables. Perpendicular Revival style. Plinth. PLAN: cruciform plan with chancel, crossing, nave and clerestory, north and south aisles, baptistry, south porch, north transept, south-east tower. EXTERIOR: single bay chancel has a transomed single lancet on each side, and to east a segmental pointed 3-light window with hoodmould, flanked by narrow lancets with traceried transoms. Clerestory has on each side, two 4-light windows in the centre, and at each end a 2-light window flanked by single light windows, all with flat heads. Nave west end has a segmental pointed 3-light window with hoodmould. Below, canted single storey baptistry with coped parapet and a 5-light window flanked by 2-light windows, with flat heads. Buttressed south aisle has in the centre, two 4-light windows and to west, a 2-light window flanked by single light windows. To east, a 2-light window and a door. North aisle has similar fenestration. Both aisles have a 2-light window at the west end. All the openings have flat heads. Gabled south porch has a double chamfered doorway. North transept has a 3-light pointed arch window flanked by single lancets, and above, a 2-light window. To west, a flat-roofed porch with parapet, 2-light window and door. Square, unbuttressed south-east tower, single stage, has plinth, sillband, string course and stepped crenellated parapet. To east and south, a tall segmental pointed recess with a 3-light pointed arch window, and above a traceried transom, a triple louvred bell opening. West side has a corresponding blank recess. INTERIOR: crossing has a double chamfered Tudor arch on each side, with imposts. North arch has concrete block wall carrying organ gallery, the remaining arches are open. Panelled wagon roof. Chancel has similar roof. To east, a 5-light window, and to north and south, single windows, with traceried transoms. East end has late C20 wooden reredos. Lady Chapel, under tower, has flat ceiling and wooden war memorial reredos with painted panels, c1920. Nave has similar roof with cross beams and collars with struts. Narrow stone wall shafts on corbels. 4 bay arcades with double chamfered Tudor arches and imposts. Chamfered square piers, and to west, pointed arched doors to north and south. At the west end, a wide Tudor arch to the baptistry and above, a resited stained glass window. Aisles have panelled lean-to roofs. South aisle has internal west porch with half-glazed door. To south-east, a double door, and to east, an arched opening to the Lady Chapel. North aisle has wooden porch to north-east, with half-glazed double doors. FITTINGS include octagonal stone font with late C20 cover, mid C20 panelled octagonal pulpit and benches, and traceried wooden lectern, desk and altar rail, 1962. MEMORIALS include pedimented wooden war memorial with encaustic tile panels, 1918, and war memorial board, 1945.

Listing NGR: SK3838690902

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06793/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].