CHURCH OF ST LEVAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1246627
Date first listed:
29-Jan-2001
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEVAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEVAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246627.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:47:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEVAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Austell Bay
National Grid Reference:
SX0291450524

Details



SX05SW HIGHER PORTHPEAN 868/9/10156 CHURCH OF ST LEVEN 29-JAN-01

II



Anglican mission church. 1884-5; by J. Reeves. Dressed Pentewan stone. Slate roof with coped gable ends. PLAN: Small 2-cell church with nave and chancel under one roof and with vestry on south side and wide narthex-like porch at the west end. Victorian Early English style. EXTERIOR: Tall cusped lancets on north and south sides, the north side with stone lateral stack with set-offs. The east end has triple lancets and stone cross at apex of gable. Stone bellcote at west gable end on corbels forming arch over lancet west window. Wide 3-bay west porch with three pointed arches with carved stone shields and inscription 'Jesus Came to Them Walking on the Seas'; plank inner door with wrought-iron hinges. Vestry on south side rising from churchyard retaining wall and with shouldered arch doorway on its west side. INTERIOR: Exposed stone walls. Plain pointed chancel arch. Arch-braced roofs with exposed common-rafters. Triple lancets at east end with nook-shafts. Devon marble reredos of 1895 by J. Reeves. Wrought-iron Communion rail. Choir stalls with trefoil ends and arcaded fronts. Carved wooden eagle lectern. Stained glass windows. SOURCE: Woodhouse, H. Porthpean Church and Village [1999].

Listing NGR: SX0291450524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487050
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Woodhouse, H, Porthpean Church and Village, (1999)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].