65, ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1246866

Date first listed: 12-Mar-2001

Statutory Address: 65, ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of 65, ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1246866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:24:25.

Location

Statutory Address: 65, ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 51187 06630

Details



SP5106NW ST GILES 612/5/10072 65 12-MAR-01

GV II



House, now offices. Circa early C18; remodelled late C18 by Henry Keene; altered and extended circa 1860; altered later C20. Rendered stone and brick. Slate hipped roof behind parapet and gable-ended roof to rear wing. Stone rubble stack at side. PLAN: Entrance to left of C20 shop, leading to staircase at back, rising to principal room on first floor at front and chambers above; later C19 wing at rear. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 3-window front. Ground floor stone pointed arch doorway on left with hoodmould and large C20 shop window on right. First floor large 3-light canted bay window set back a little on right, with large 12-pane sashes in moulded cases and with moulded cornice above. Second floor four 9-pane sashes, with moulded cornice to parapet above. Rear: doorway with large overlight and one and two-light sashes with glazing bars. INTERIOR: Late C18 open-well staircase from first to second floor with Chinoiserie balustrade with moulded mahogany hand rail ramped up to slender turned newels. Principal first floor front room has moulded ceiling cornice, large chimneypiece with engaged Ionic columns and entablature and fielded 6-panel door with moulded architrave and overdoor. Various late C18 and C19 chimneypieces with grates. First floor front room has early C18 chimneypiece with C19 grate. NOTE: In late C18 No.65 St Giles was probably remodelled by Henry Keene, who bought a lease on the property in 1768. SOURCE: Colvin,H. Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, p.572.

Listing NGR: SP5118706630

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 486995

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954), 572

End of official listing