CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1247046
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CARVER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247046.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:13:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CARVER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 35137 87108

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK3587SW CARVER STREET 784-1/24/150 (East side) 28/06/73 Church of St Matthew

GV II

Parish church and attached railing. 1854-55. By Flockton & Son. Chancel 1884, by JD Sedding. Redecorated c1960 by GG Pace. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: chancel and sanctuary, vestry and organ chamber, nave with clerestory, aisles with lady chapel and baptistry, west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: plinth and coped gables. Windows are mainly segmental pointed arched windows with panel tracery. Chancel east gable has a 5-light window with hoodmould and mask stops. Vestry to right has single gable and single side wall stack and to east, a pointed doorway and an ogee headed 3-light window, both with chamfered flat-headed surrounds. Outside, a 10m length of spiked railing. 5 bay nave has 5 pairs of 2-light windows on each side of the clerestory. Aisles have blank sides and at their buttressed west ends, 4-light windows with chamfered heads and linked hoodmoulds. South aisle has a similar window to east. Projecting lower stage of west tower forms the central feature of the west end. Large canted buttresses flanking a moulded segmental pointed doorway with a crenellated parapet on which stands a war memorial Calvary. Above the door, a 4-light window with hoodmould. Octagonal bell stage has thin angle buttresses topped with pinnacles, and crenellated parapet. Plain set back octagonal spire. INTERIOR: nave and chancel have queen post truss roofs with wooden wall shafts on corbels. Chancel has double chamfered arch with angel imposts. South side has chamfered arch into lady chapel, with wrought-iron screen. C19 stained glass east window. Sanctuary, in the east bay of the nave, has moulded alabaster screen wall and wrought-iron gate. Nave has 5 bay arcades with plain octagonal piers and chamfered arches with hoodmoulds. Sillband to clerestory. West end has a double chamfered tower arch with a traceried panelled gallery. Aisles have plain lean-to roofs and at their west ends, pointed doorways to the gallery. South aisle has double chamfered eastern arch with wrought-iron screen and gate into lady chapel, and at the west end a side door with hoodmould. Stained glass includes chancel east window 1884, by JD Sedding. North aisle west window 1902, by Lavers & Westlake. FITTINGS include octagonal panelled oak pulpit and font with repousse panels, by HJ Potter, 1903 and 1913. Carved altar and reredos 1886, by JD Sedding. Elaborately carved stalls. Entrance screen c1960 by GG Pace. This church was an important centre of missionary and charitable activity in central Sheffield in the second half of the C19. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 452).

Listing NGR: SK3513787108

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
456193
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 452
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/171613
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27522

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15430/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].