FOLDYS CROSS APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES SOUTH WEST OF TOWNELEY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1247301
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Nov-1997
Statutory Address:
FOLDYS CROSS APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES SOUTH WEST OF TOWNELEY HALL, TOWNELEY PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247301.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 16:42:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOLDYS CROSS APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES SOUTH WEST OF TOWNELEY HALL, TOWNELEY PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Burnley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 85234 30660

Details

BURNLEY

SD8530 TOWNELEY PARK 906-1/7/143 Foldys' Cross approximately 300m 10/11/51 south-west of Towneley Hall (Formerly Listed as: TODMORDEN ROAD (East side) Foldys Cross south west of Towneley Hall in Towneley Park)

GV II

Commemorative cross also used as market cross. Commemorates John Foldys. Dated 1520 on plinth; erected in St Peter's churchyard, damaged in 1789, removed to Towneley Hall and re-erected with a new shaft; restored 1908-11 and now mounted on a high C20 base of 7 steps. Sandstone. Octagonal, with a moulded plinth which has sunk panels containing raised lettering in Gothic script (see below), a restored octagonal shaft, an original moulded cap with carved emblems and fleurons on the collar, and an ornately-carved cross with a primitive crucifix on one side and "IHS" on the other. The lettering on the plinth reads: "Orate pro anima Johannis Foldys, capellani qui istam crucem fieri fecit Anno Domini MCCCCCXX". ("Pray for the soul of John Foldys, chaplain who caused this cross to be made in the year of Our Lord 1520").







Listing NGR: SD8523430660

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
467232
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14621/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham R. Heasman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].