This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LEADER HOUSE AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LEADER HOUSE AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1247423

Location

1, SURREY PLACE
LEADER HOUSE AND ADJOINING BOUNDARY WALL, SURREY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 456892

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK3587SE SURREY STREET 784-1/25/704 (South West side) 01/05/52 Leader House and adjoining boundary wall

GV II

Includes: No.1 SURREY PLACE. 2 houses and adjoining boundary wall. Dated 1780, with early and mid C19 additions and C20 alterations. Built by the Duke of Norfolk for Vincent Eyre. Brick, the right return rendered and colourwashed, with ashlar dressings and slate roof with one brick and 2 rendered gable stacks. Plinth, chamfered quoins, wooden mutule eaves cornice, parapet with ramped coping. 3 storeys; 3 window range. Lower floors have 12 pane sashes, upper floor 6 pane sashes. These windows have multi-keystone lintels. To left, a set back mid C19 addition, 3 storeys, with 2 plain sashes on each floor with moulded architraves. Right return has to right a 2-storey rear wing. Three 12 pane sashes with multi-keystone lintels. Below, a central early C19 canted bay window with cornice and three 12 pane sashes. To left, a wooden Classical doorcase with Doric columns and open pediment, with beaded 6-panel door and fanlight. To right, a 12 pane sash. To right again, a mid C19 canted addition, single storey. To left, a moulded 6-panel door with overlight, and to right, two 12 pane sashes. INTERIOR not inspected. Outside, a curved brick boundary wall with plinth and moulded stone coping. Pair of square gate piers with caps. Occupied from the early C19 by the Leader family.

Listing NGR: SK3556787111

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 35567 87111

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 05:13:13.

End of official listing