ST9971 THE STRAND
755-1/4/177 (West side)
19/05/50 Lansdowne Arms Hotel and former
coach house, stable and brewhouse
Formerly known as: No.9 Lansdowne Arms Hotel THE STRAND.
Formerly known as: The Catherine Wheel Inn THE STRAND.
Inn and several houses, now hotel and former stables and
brewery buildings. Mid-late C17 left-hand end, refronted early
C18, left-hand range partly rebuilt mid C19, rear C18 and C19
brewery and stable buildings. Painted limestone rubble,
coursed limestone left-hand gable, coursed rubble rear blocks,
5 limestone ashlar ridge stacks, stone slate roof, with slates
and pantiles to rear blocks. Single-depth plan front range,
with former stable and brewery buildings forming a large
2 storeys and attic; 16-window range. A long parapeted front
with cornice has a segmental-arched carriage entrance 3 from
the right with a late C20 door, bolection-moulded surrounds to
6/6-pane sashes. An incorporated C17 3-window left-hand range
set back, with a ground-floor string, coped end gable with a
finial and moulded kneelers, and 1:2 cyma-moulded cross
windows with metal casements; on the first floor is a fire
mark dated 1696, inscribed MC with a lion; 1-window gable end
rebuilt c1866 has 3-light cross windows to each floor.
Rear elevation has irregular fenestration reflecting earlier
houses, with a left-hand 1-window gabled stair tower with a
C18 6/6-pane first-floor stair light with thick bars and
exposed frame, a wide central gable with 2 first-floor
6/6-pane sashes and an attic casement, and 2-storey right-hand
lean-to with paired first-floor 6/6-pane sashes; a date stone
is inscribed 1860. Large wrought-iron carriage lamp over the
entrance, and a large round clock toward the right-hand end in
a moulded surround.
S former stable range, 2 storeys; 4 windows, has a right-hand
segmental-arched carriage entrance.
Mid C19 W range, 2 storeys; 2 windows to the courtyard,
ground- and first-floor keyed segmental-arched windows with
ashlar surrounds and first-floor 21/21-pane sashes, above
paired segmental-arched doorways.
Mid C18 NW range raised on side of slope with a splayed
entrance corner and hipped roof, timber mullion windows
beneath the eaves, and a C19 door with overlight. Castle
Street end is half-hipped with timber lintels.
Former brewery to N side, early-mid C19, coursed rubble with
brick dressings and quoins. 3 storeys; 2-window range.
Inserted concrete lintels to later windows, partly blocked
wide entrance, with an octagonal banded brick gable chimney
with cornice at the left-hand end.
Former coach house. C17, rubble with stone slate roof. 2
storeys and attic; 1-window range. An irregular front has
quoins and a splayed right-hand corner, steep gable, wide
entrance, inserted first-floor window, and attic window with
INTERIOR: altered; details include a former through-passage to
the rear courtyard, with a rear open-well stair to the left
with column-on-vase balusters, a rear lateral passage;
left-hand end has 6 bays with arch-braced collars, and moulded
first-floor axial and lateral ceiling beams.
HISTORICAL NOTE: mentioned as an inn from 1582, known as the
Catherine Wheel. Existing building formed from amalgamation of
up to 5 domestic properties, parts of which can be seen in the
An important group including the ancillary buildings round the
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Cherry B: Wiltshire:
London: 1963-1975: 156).
Listing NGR: ST9971571004