THE MOUNT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1247658
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
THE MOUNT, FRANKWELL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MOUNT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1247658.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Apr-2020 at 02:02:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MOUNT, FRANKWELL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48529 13069

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ41SE FRANKWELL 653-1/4/329 (North East side) 10/01/53 The Mount

II*

House, now in use as offices. c1800. Brick with stone dressings and roof not visible behind parapet. 3 storeys, 5-window range to main block with lower flanking wings. Central door in porch with Tuscan columns supporting entablature with triglyph frieze. 12-pane sash windows with flat-arched finely gauged brick heads. Windows over door in stressed stone architraves. Continuous sill band to first floor. Stone cornice and parapet. Single-storeyed 4-window range to left with blank arcading containing 12-pane sash windows. 2-storey single-window range added to right, and a lower bay beyond with canted bay window and lantern light over. Gable end stacks. INTERIOR: elaborate plasterwork decoration to some ground floor rooms, and cantilevered stone stair with cast-iron balusters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was the birthplace of Charles Darwin in 1809.

Listing NGR: SJ4852913069

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457280
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08154/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Warman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].